Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 01-10-2005, 11:48 PM   #1
XRQTOR
Banned

Default Laptop/Tablet pc Need help

Have been thinking of getting a laptop to use in my car, mainly for music and to watch video's on (Run through premium sound screen as well), thinking of getting wireless net but thats another story again.

Now i was watching tv show the other day and they put a tablet pc in the glovebox, never seen one before and am wondering if one of these would be better than a laptop, which would be better for my aspplication. I like the idea of that tablet seeing as it's basically a screen, i assume i could hook up a wireless keyboard to it when needed.

How and where do i get more info on these tablets and some decent laptops, can a dvd/cd burner be fitted to a tablet at all.

Cheers

XRQTOR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2005, 12:06 AM   #2
BlackLS

XRQTOR, Tablet normally has a touch screen, you can make a software interface that is car friendly - large buttons easy navigation etc. Do a websearch on in car entertainment (ICE) or Carputers.

Most installs Ive seen using a larger screen are done by taking out the glovebox and cutting up the dash above it, then mould it with fibreglass/bog and trim. Because of this the DVD burner drive isnt really that accessable, so a consideration is to have an external burner moulded in under the screen.

Another thing that you may want is a Infared remote, that you can program to do whatever. Is is normally the main control of a carputer, mainly because people don't have the moolah for touch screens.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2005, 12:21 AM   #3
Deadman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

also remember - a tablet notebook can still be used in the same way as a normal notebook (i.e. comes with a keyboard etc) - but the screen swivels around and folds flat down over the keypad when you want to use it like a touch screen. very cool... (although if you want a wireless keyboard - you can always get one)

they are much more expensive but worth it if it's the functionality you're after. if you get a Intel Centrino one (which they pretty much all are) it has built in wireless and perfoms pretty well.

When I use to work for Intel, we'd run around with them during Indy for the 4 days - and they were really handy...

I know Acer have a tablet pc (last time i checked) - so maybe just try their website (along with people like Dell, Toshiba, IBM, Compaw & HP etc) - just search their notebook range for a tablet pc.

They aren't as popular as people first thought they might be due to their increased price, and haven't taken off that strongly, but there are definately still a few on the market (and always will be).

cheers
Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2005, 12:27 AM   #4
XRQTOR
Banned

Thanks for the info fella's, so they do have there own keyboard but unlike a laptop they swivel round and hide when you only want to use the screen (Touch screen).

I would like to have it so it cant be seen when the glovebox is closed, but screen slides out and up when i want it to as well as beeing able to take it out when i feel the need.
Old 02-10-2005, 09:53 AM   #5
Deadman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRQTOR
Thanks for the info fella's, so they do have there own keyboard but unlike a laptop they swivel round and hide when you only want to use the screen (Touch screen).
yes (not 100% sure but i think you can still use them as a touch screen when they aren't swiveled around and folded flat - but best to check that)

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRQTOR
I would like to have it so it cant be seen when the glovebox is closed, but screen slides out and up when i want it to as well as beeing able to take it out when i feel the need.
Well, you couldn't 'slide' it out, but you could 'swivel' it out and up... You can 'swivel' them also so it's like a normal laptop but the screen is pointing the opposite way (away from the keyboard - if that makes sence) - would be handy for positioning it with the base inside the glovebox and the screen pointed towards the passenger seat - plus you could swivel it towards the driver to - for easier viewing etc...

And of course you could take it out if you had it connected easily - my suggestion would to actually get a model that has a docking station (if they are available) - that way you can connect up the tablet pc via the docking station to the car - that means you just need to plug it in and out of the docking station rather than pluging in cables all the time when you get into the car. The docking station could stay in the glove box etc connected to the car.. anyhow, i'm just thinking out loud.

You in QLD XRQTOR? (probably should check your profile but i'm in the middle of this reply). If so, and you are part of the XR club of QLD - i hope to get along to some of their cruises in the future, we could chat about it then...

My best advice to start with would track some of these tablet models down (see if HN stock any etc - last time i checked they had 1 model in stock - best bet would be the Bundall store at the Gold Coast - if in QLD - as they have a good range) and just check them out - look at their features and see if it really is what you are after - and if they can do all the things u want :

l8r

[EDIT]: just noticed you're in Sydney - ignore the QLD references above - but I still suggest getting out and looking at some models to play with and see what you think. If you've got any more questions let me know (pm me if it's not for a few days cause i'll eventually stop checking this thread :1syellow1 )

l8r
Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2005, 04:39 PM   #6
BlackLS

I think this a great idea.

All you really need is a charger for it, get a wireless broadband PCMCIA card(are they avaliable in Australia, and you have a mobile pr0n streaming workstation.

For the install, perhaps install a bracket or some kind of mount so it wont move about while driving, and can adjust to how far it slides out. You will also need it so when swivelled around it the bottom of the glovebox doesnt touch the keys. While your at it add a on off switch for the glovebox light at the top of the glovebox.

I haven't played much with tablet pcs so I dont know if you can manaully disable the keyboard/enable the touchscreen. Lemme know if you wanna have a look around at these.
Old 03-10-2005, 04:15 PM   #7
XRQTOR
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArgonEF
I think this a great idea.

All you really need is a charger for it, get a wireless broadband PCMCIA card(are they avaliable in Australia, and you have a mobile pr0n streaming workstation.

For the install, perhaps install a bracket or some kind of mount so it wont move about while driving, and can adjust to how far it slides out. You will also need it so when swivelled around it the bottom of the glovebox doesnt touch the keys. While your at it add a on off switch for the glovebox light at the top of the glovebox.

I haven't played much with tablet pcs so I dont know if you can manaully disable the keyboard/enable the touchscreen. Lemme know if you wanna have a look around at these.
You should know better mate there's no need for p0rn in good old campbelltown.

A guy who comes into work has the net on his laptop, it uses a black thing that slides in the side and a 3 simcard, he's on a $9o pm plan but said using it 24/7 only costs him $27 a month. I though that was cool, also like the idea of auto downloading movies and soungs.

I want to try and have it mounted so that it just slides up and out from the glove box once it opens, also be able to rotate the screen towards the driver if needed. Then if i want just to be able to pull it right out with ease and use it normally.
Old 02-10-2005, 04:42 PM   #8
BlackLS

Oh yeah, as mentioned above, if you get a Centrino based machine, you can set it up so whenever it gets parked in the garage, it can syncronise with your MP3 and movie collection over thge Wireless LAN connection, ;)
Old 02-10-2005, 04:42 PM   #9
PH47
Ford Power, in a Merc?

Mate check out www.mp3car.com (ignore the name, it's a site devoted to CarPC's)..

They know more than anyone about this stuff

Have done some of the most amazingly clean computer installs i've ever seen..
PH47 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post