Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 07-07-2010, 01:48 AM   #1
Festy
WS Fiesta 5Dr Manual

Default Problem engaging reverse on WS Fiesta

So, just had my WS Fiesta in for its 15000km service. When I left it, I mentioned an issue with reverse not engaging properly sometimes when the engine is cold.

Goes like this....
Engage reverse, release clutch and listen to cogs grinding against each other. Depress clutch and pull gear lever back slightly more (probably no more than a cm), release clutch and all is good. No big issue as it doesn't happen that often but thought I'd mention it to them anyway.

Here's the exact response as written on the Service Report.

"This model requires the clutch pedal to be pumped 2 or 3 times to build pressure"

Thought I bought a 21st Century WS Fiesta...not a Model T.

Has anyone else been told (or heard of) something like this???

Festy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2010, 02:13 AM   #2
fiestars

i have the same problem in my WQ i jus gotten used to it, happens every now and then
fiestars is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2010, 08:58 AM   #3
Liri

Everyone I talk to with a WQ or WS says the same thing, and mine does it too.
Liri is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2010, 12:25 PM   #4
fiestaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

my WP does it too... i work around it now, learnt how to feel when its not in gear properly... (often does it when i am needing reverse quickly -.- )
fiestaz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2010, 02:20 PM   #5
generalstraw
Starter Motor

I have the same problem in my new WS :(

would the problem go away if i change to a short shifter?
generalstraw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2010, 07:04 PM   #6
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Mine has a problem where if i don't hold my foot on the clutch for 5 seconds, it bangs in and the car jerks.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2010, 07:18 PM   #7
InnerDevil
Owner Of The Evil ST

mine has it to

must be a fiesta trait, learnt to live with it
Panther Black

17" Lenso Type M ~ Wrapped w/ Falken Tyres
Pedders Sports Ryder Lowered Springs
St Rear Spoiler
InnerDevil is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2010, 07:42 PM   #8
GoesLikeAZetec
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i've found if i push the clutch all the way in and take it fairly slow to slot it into reverse, it goes in 9 times out of 10 for me...

you definitely cant do it fast thats for sure
GoesLikeAZetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2010, 07:54 PM   #9
golden
2009 WS Moondust Silver

I wouldn't be pumping a hydraulic clutch, you could damage the clutch splines because the clutch bearing could be ultimately pushed in too far. was this a machanic who told you this, if so my car would be going back there.
Cheers
golden is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2010, 08:45 PM   #10
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Call me an idiot, but putting in my short throw shifter has really helped my car and it's reverse. I've never had a major issue with my WS, my WP was horrible to get into reverse however, but the short throw shifter seems to make this issue a once a month occurrence! Sorry to hear yourj getting blunt service too fella...
Old 07-07-2010, 10:02 PM   #11
understated
Starter Motor

It happens in all the front wheel drive cars that I have ever driven - I can feel when it's in reverse and when it's not. If it doesn't select properly I just select a forward gear before I select reverse. I don't blame the dealer for telling you it's not an issue.
understated is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2010, 10:11 PM   #12
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don't think that's the issue. You're right mate, it's generic for Fiesta to have this, but not all FWD have it, it's actually just the Fiesta gearbox and gearboxes that are similar, but to be told to repeatedly press the clutch to fix it is ridiculous. If the Ford dealer knew the car, it says in the handbook how to correctly depress the clutch. This is typical 'Ford Dealer Expert Advice' that's based on nothing more than them trying to get away from you.

Pump the clutch? Why don't you just get your starter handle and start the vehicle by winding it over. I'd expect a Ford dealer to give an educated response, but I'm not surprised. Don't get me wrong, I love my Fiesta and I'm a huge Fan fan-boy, but their dealers suck *****.
Old 08-07-2010, 02:57 AM   #13
Festy
WS Fiesta 5Dr Manual

OK, so it seems the "reversing" issue is known (and apparently mostly accepted). While I understand the engagement of an additional cog presents increased difficulties, my previous 97 Hyundai Excel had a gear change like stirring pudding (if you've driven one you'll know what I mean) but never had an issue engaging reverse.
However, the real issue I had was with the statement on the Service Record regarding the "pumping of the clutch". reminded me of my old 57 Holden which required the choke to be pulled and the accelerator pumped three times before it would start.
Oh well...least it doesn't happen often enough to be a real headache.
Festy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post