Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 20-11-2008, 07:36 PM   #1
RJO89
EuroFordClub

Default She's dumped

Finally lowered the car. Was one of the only things left on my list to do. Many thanks to Chris from fordxr5turbo.com for donating the springs. They're pedders Super or Ultra lows. Not sure which ones. Supers I think. Either way, it looks awesome. And the ride quality has increased tenfold. The front strut tower was completely replaced with pedders springs set into the XR5 dampers, so that's improved even more on the ride quality. Let me know what you guys think!!!! : : :
(PS, the car is dirty as. Haven't had time to clean it!!!)

Fronts

Rears

Far from stock... --- SOLD :

Now riding a 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R :
RJO89 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2008, 10:08 PM   #2
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: This member has made a few valuable contributions to the Forum in the Focus section, seems to know exactly what he is talking about with his posts, which are helpful and concise. 

Looking very good, although I think we need a 3/4 view with the chequered addition in view to make a final judgement...:P

Enjoy those corners (more so)
Lower airbox removed, K&N Panel filter
Momo gear knob + boot + pedals, Ghia boot garnish, Zetec Chrome interior door handles
JVC KW-XR816 Headunit + more to come...

#Russ#Es# is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2008, 10:25 PM   #3
Fast Eddie
Motorsport Guru

So as I understand it, you've got Pedders springs and XR5 Turbo dampers, right? Anyways, it looks the trick. I notice you've no longer got the blue stripes down the side.

Exterior Enhancements: ST170 Wheels, Richbrook Shorty Aerial, Euro-Spec Hatch Handle.

Performance Enhancements: Ate Callipers/EBC Rotors/EBC Greens Stuff Pads, ST170 Suspension, Herrod's Custom Tune, Ford Racing Coated Exhaust Manifold & Bespoke 2.25in Exhaust.

Awards: AFD '07 EFOC Best Focus, SFS '09 EFOC Best Focus, SFS '10 RSOC O/all Best Focus, AFD '10 CFC O/all Best Focus.
Fast Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2008, 11:05 PM   #4
819_FLY

It looks pretty fierce, they never look good with 4 inches of wheel clearance... hahahaha....

To my personal liking I would like the guards to sit up to the tyres and roll the insides just so it looks HEKTIK!!! then fit some 19's and the black LED tailights courtesy of european parts, would look fierce then.... they are my plans at least... hahaha

Check out 819FLY!!
819_FLY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2008, 11:24 PM   #5
Turbodiesel
Torquer

Looks good but would be much better with a kit I think, any plans for one?
Turbodiesel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2008, 01:08 AM   #6
want-a-XY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i'm planning on lowering mine that much. All depends on whether i get into Dentistry next year. if i do i'll lower it, if i don't i'll have a career re-think lol
want-a-XY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2008, 09:20 AM   #7
Velociraptor82
Eat my Brake Dust

How I envy you.....
Small Ford Sunday 2010 - Best Modified Car presented by the EuroFord Club

If I'm going to Hell, I'm going in a Ford

Velociraptor82 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2008, 02:18 PM   #8
Fast Eddie
Motorsport Guru

Dentistry hey, that's a good career to get your teeth into!

Exterior Enhancements: ST170 Wheels, Richbrook Shorty Aerial, Euro-Spec Hatch Handle.

Performance Enhancements: Ate Callipers/EBC Rotors/EBC Greens Stuff Pads, ST170 Suspension, Herrod's Custom Tune, Ford Racing Coated Exhaust Manifold & Bespoke 2.25in Exhaust.

Awards: AFD '07 EFOC Best Focus, SFS '09 EFOC Best Focus, SFS '10 RSOC O/all Best Focus, AFD '10 CFC O/all Best Focus.
Old 21-11-2008, 07:16 PM   #9
819_FLY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Eddie
Dentistry hey, that's a good career to get your teeth into!
That was so funny I forgot to laugh!!!!

Check out 819FLY!!
Old 21-11-2008, 11:35 PM   #10
MW_WA
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJO89
Now that's what I'm talkin' about.

Just amazing how such a small shift can change a vehicle's appearance from mum's car to something pretty sweet looking.

Can I ask (or can you PM me) what it would cost the average punter with no insider connections to get something like that done?
Old 22-11-2008, 10:49 AM   #11
819_FLY

Lowering would only be about 500 at the most for springs (king Springs, lovells, eibach, etc...) and then a couple hundred for labour, but if you have mates that have a bit of handiness with pulling struts apart then you can get them to do it and save a bit of coin.

Check out 819FLY!!
Old 22-11-2008, 02:24 PM   #12
Fast Eddie
Motorsport Guru

Quote: "and then a couple of hundred for labour". That's spot on actually. My mechanics charged me that to install my ST170 Suspension. I've actually taken my LR for it's first good run on the new suspension down to Goulburn today and it is so much more compliant compared to the standard LX suspension.

Old 22-11-2008, 07:28 PM   #13
Mullett
Badly Focused

Springs (especially kings) shouldn't be more than $300, trade is about $120 per end, and they're on ebay at the moment new for about $240. Fitting, about the $200 mark i guess...

-RM.

93 GSR/Evo3...too much to mention, 12.2sec 1/4, FOR SALE!

*Maybe we don't try putting holes in things that sink, yeah?*
Mullett is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2008, 08:18 PM   #14
AnthonyTDCi
Focus TDCi

oooh i like i like!!! hopefully mine will be done by xmas.

good stuff man
AnthonyTDCi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2008, 11:17 AM   #15
RJO89
EuroFordClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Eddie
So as I understand it, you've got Pedders springs and XR5 Turbo dampers, right? Anyways, it looks the trick. I notice you've no longer got the blue stripes down the side.
True. XR5 dampers with Pedders springs. The handling is absolutely incredible. No body roll whatsoever. Haven't had a chance to fully experience it though. Been raining and I've been away for a few days. But once I get a chance to really belt them out, I'll be on here letting you guys know.

The stripes are gone because I'm putting a different set of stickers on there. Going to be a full day job, and workin 7 days a week isn't helping get it done at the moment! But they'll be done by next year

Old 24-11-2008, 11:19 AM   #16
RJO89
EuroFordClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbodiesel
Looks good but would be much better with a kit I think, any plans for one?
Not really mate. Not too keen on any of the body kits goin around, except the XR5 one, which I'm not willing to put on. Not that desperate!!!
Only thing I want for cosmetic body parts is the XR5 spoiler. Mine has been stained white in areas with the wax I put on and I'm sick of having it look like ***!

Old 24-11-2008, 11:24 AM   #17
RJO89
EuroFordClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by MW_WA
Can I ask (or can you PM me) what it would cost the average punter with no insider connections to get something like that done?

Seriously, do the rears yourself at least. The rears are incredibly simple to put in yourself. The fronts I had to get done by Pedders, so the whole setup cost me $120 installed (that includes the front springs w/ XR5 dampers and the rear springs - gotta love connections : )
The rears all you have to do it jack up the rear of the car (both sides), whack car stands underneath, undo the rear swaybar bolt on both sides, then undo the suspension are bolts on both sides. The suspension arms will drop down and the swaybar will pivot, allowing the springs to be pulled out with a bit of jiggling. Then just slide the new ones in, jack the suspension arms up and slide the bolts back in, then bung the swaybar bolts back in and put the wheels back on. A lot easier than what it sounds. The fronts I know how to do, but couldn't do it myself. Need a mallet/hammer and a block of wood, a FULL can of WD40 and a lot of guts

Old 24-11-2008, 04:03 PM   #18
Mullett
Badly Focused

A note if anyone wants to do the fronts themselves...the shock tower connects to the wheel hub by sliding into a giant clamp cast into the hub, and a bolt tightens the clamp (hard to explain) To get it out, leave the shock tower bolted at the top, and belt the hub downwards with a copper hammer. Once it's apart, wedge a chisel or a screwdriver into the gap in the hub (you'll need a hammer) to pry the clamp open, the tower just drops back in afterwards.

It sounds difficult, but if you pull the wheel off and have a look, it's pretty easy. Oh, and you'll need to remove the windscreen wipers and the garnish that sits under them to get to the top bolts.

-RM.

Old 24-11-2008, 06:09 PM   #19
RJO89
EuroFordClub

You make it sound really easy mate

They were the same instructions I had when I was doing it myself, and I barely managed to move the strut tower 3mm after about 20 minutes of banging. Considering what I was working on and the fact that it was 1am and needed to be used that day, I just got someone to do it for me because I felt like if I had hit it any harder, it would've broken something. But to anyone that wants to give it a shot, go for it!!

Old 24-11-2008, 07:55 PM   #20
skriblz06

looking good mate! is there any shots of the racing stripes on the front and rear?
skriblz06 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2008, 08:03 PM   #21
RJO89
EuroFordClub

Not yet. Give me 10 minutes ;)

Old 24-11-2008, 08:21 PM   #22
RJO89
EuroFordClub

k Done. And yes, I know the car is dirty....

Old 24-11-2008, 11:33 PM   #23
819_FLY

ahhh that isnt dirty bud.... hahahaa

Check out 819FLY!!
Old 25-11-2008, 01:23 AM   #24
xurbanx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Looks awesome man! Haha if you think that's dirty, you should see mine! :p
Old 26-11-2008, 09:48 PM   #25
AnthonyTDCi
Focus TDCi

i called Pedders today......quoted me $735 for a 35mm drop...new springs and fitting.

can anyone recomend a mechanic or someone who can do it for cheaper than that?
Old 26-11-2008, 10:56 PM   #26
BlackLS
yum

Most mechanics will change springs, best would be one with an 4 wheel alignment bay, so a tyre shop would more likely a better place to try. $264 for Eibachs from european-parts.net (+shipping) + 2 hours labour = about $400-500. Then you have springs that are 1000x better than Pedders stuff. If you're just after a cheap drop, go King Superlows for about the same price (no shipping costs)

BlackLS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2008, 01:06 AM   #27
AnthonyTDCi
Focus TDCi

im guessing these are the ones im after? http://www.european-parts.net/catalo...roducts_id=695

what makes eibachs better than pedders?
Old 27-11-2008, 09:17 AM   #28
Mullett
Badly Focused

EVERYTHING makes eibach springs better. Basically they're the best road-car springs in the world, and every set is carefully tested and tuned in the car, often on tracks like the nurburgring. A lot of the cheaper spring manufacturers simply pick a spring rate (30% stiffer than stock, for example), and then pick a drop (25mm for example) and adjust the length of the springs until the car sits right. It'll do, and it's still an improvement and 1000x better than cutting springs, but it's not nearly the same standard as Eibach.

If you're chasing king springs, grab some off ebay (or Coventries, if you want me to get them at trade and send them to you PM me), fit the rears yourself and then have the fronts fitted and an alignment done. Personally, I'd go for the XR5 springs, but that depends on how low you want the car (XR5 springs are about the same height as Zetec, but stiffer)

-RM.