Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: Are you planning on buying a vehicle and if so, in how long?
In the next month 3 3.70%
In the next 6 months 20 24.69%
In the next 12 months 10 12.35%
In the next 24 months 19 23.46%
Not unless something unfortunate happens 29 35.80%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Old 30-01-2009, 01:17 PM   #1
Coogs289
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Herald Sun Article - They've got a deal for you (page 30).

Ford Falcon FPV GT

Price Jan 2008: $$66,590
Price Now: $59,888 driveaway
Minimum Saving : $6712

Car prices have plummeted to new lows as desperate dealers work to clear stocks of unsold 2008 vehicles.

Bargain buyers are saving thousands on a huge range of vehicles, from cheapie economy cars to high-priced exotics.

All sorts of incentives are being used to sweeten deals.

Manafacturers and importers are tipping in everything from cash incentives to free on-road costs, gift certificates and free goodies like satellite navigation to help move more metal.

"It's all about the transaction price. Forget about the recommended retail price," the spokesman for one major importer said yesterday.

One Frankston Ford Dealer said buyer interest was strong.

One Falcon GT fan is going to save more than $10,000 on a car that has been in stock for more than six months, while a range of vehicles in the Chrysler Jeep family are going for more than $3000 iff their normal price. Even a starting-price Hyundai Getz can be driven away for $3000 less than it cost a year ago.

The price plunge has been triggered by a range of troubles, from the global economic downturn to an oversupply of cars ordered before Australian car sales started to slide down in the final quarter of last year.

Demand was down by more than 10 per cent in each of the final three months of '08, but some companies say the real figures are much worse.

Some luxury brands have seen showroom interest fall by between one-third to half.

Sales last year topped one million vehicles for only the second time on record, but most forecasters have 2009 pegged at around 850,000.

Driveaway Bargains

Car Jan 2008 Now Minimum Saving

Hyundai Getz 3-door $13,990 $12,990 driveaway $1000

Nissa Tida ST $20,240 $17,990 driveaway $2250

Kia Rio Hatch $14,990 $13,990 driveaway $2000
+ $1000 cashback

Hyundai i30 SR $28,450 $21,000 $7450

Dodge Nitro SX $38,990 $34,990 driveaway $6000

Jeep Cherokee Sport $39,990 $37,990 driveaway $4000

Old 30-01-2009, 01:25 PM   #2
onfire
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

lol, I know someone who just paid the $39k on the Nitro.
onfire is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2009, 01:56 PM   #3
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Its good to save $ on purchase now, but the flow on effect will also hurt resale down the track...

Old 30-01-2009, 02:03 PM   #4
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

If I was in the market and there was no rush id still be hanging back another month atleast.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2009, 02:09 PM   #5
Mr Brooksy
Youth worker

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Numerous helpful how-to's and sound advice! 

Wow, thats alot of savings! If only I wasnt putting in a kitchen and renovating, I'd be able to get my hands on an F6!!!! Well, Ill go back to my dream world...

2011 SZ Territory

Old Futura thread:
Brooksy's Ex Build
Mr Brooksy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2009, 02:13 PM   #6
Bearman
Moderator Ford Coupe Club

Not unless my XR6 completely drops it's lunch or a meteorite ends its billion mile journey in space through my back window!! Depreciation has rendered my car almost worthless as a trade in so I'm driving it until the wheels fall off.

I'd love to upgrade but even with the heavy discounting the dollars in my case still don't add up!!

http://www.fordcoupeclub.org

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there" George Harrison 2001.
Bearman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2009, 02:24 PM   #7
Powdered Toast Man
Professional Mouse Jockey

I'm the same as Bearman, my BA is almost worthless. If it wasn't for the big lump of metal under the bonnet it would be worthless. Plus the fact I know pretty much the complete history of my car and it's condition.

I couldn't afford a newy anyway, unless it was a Getz. Plus the job situation is a bit volitile at the moment and I dont wan't to be paying off a car that I can afford now but can't in the future.

I might be in the market for a weekender / niche / speciality type car in the next couple of years though.

The GT would be a nice buy.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana. Groucho Marx
Powdered Toast Man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2009, 02:38 PM   #8
onfire
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Iv been watching the BA XR6s for while now. They're cheap now, I cant wait 6 months down the track.
onfire is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2009, 02:48 PM   #9
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powdered Toast Man
I'm the same as Bearman, my BA is almost worthless. If it wasn't for the big lump of metal under the bonnet it would be worthless. Plus the fact I know pretty much the complete history of my car and it's condition.

I couldn't afford a newy anyway, unless it was a Getz. Plus the job situation is a bit volitile at the moment and I dont wan't to be paying off a car that I can afford now but can't in the future.

I might be in the market for a weekender / niche / speciality type car in the next couple of years though.

The GT would be a nice buy.
So you buy second hand but are upset that second hand cars are too cheap????
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2009, 03:22 PM   #10
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

resale is not a problem if the car is cheaper anyway
the change over price is still the same
example
Say ba xr6 10k - fg xr6 40k = 30 k change over
or
say ba xr6 5k - fg xr6 35k = 30 k chang over

its no different.
snappy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2009, 03:43 PM   #11
Ghiadude
FORMERLY TX3DUDE

Any one interested in selling their xr6 is most likely better off selling privately.
Ghiadude is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2009, 06:53 PM   #12
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ive come to the realization with cars that if you want to turn them over every 3-4 years you better be comfortable loosing stacks of money on them, otherwise you're better off buying 2-3 year old cars at half their new price and running them into the ground...

Old 30-01-2009, 07:18 PM   #13
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

My EL is an excellent car and i wont ever replace it, ill get an FG ute one day but the EL is mine permantly!
Old 30-01-2009, 07:30 PM   #14
Kieron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tx3dude
Any one interested in selling their xr6 is most likely better off selling privately.

Dunno what they are going for privately, but I got 11.5K trade in on my manual 03 XR6 with 148K on the clock. They are asking 17.7K for it now.

Traded it on an FG XR8 and got around 6K discount on that as well.
Kieron is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2009, 10:00 PM   #15
Powdered Toast Man
Professional Mouse Jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Nope I'm not complaining second hand cars are too cheap. In fact I wasn't complaining at all, just stating a fact about the trade in value of my car. I'm mearly saying that I'm not prepared to lose 20 grand over 2 years on a new car, and the fact that I can't afford a 60 grand GT even if I wanted to. Whether thread posters are going to buy a new car soon due to the good new car discounts was the point of the poll was it not?

Sorry if my financial situation offends

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana. Groucho Marx
Powdered Toast Man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2009, 01:21 AM   #16
EgoFG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

And yet that silly NRMA website still bases depreciation on List price and I think assumes a 3year life) !
That stacks the figures !
EgoFG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2009, 08:56 AM   #17
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

Just bought second hand and unless a tree falls on one of our cars or it spontaniously combusts we'll be keeping what we've got for the forseeable future. I don't think I'd ever buy new anyway, even if my pockets were deep enough that I could afford to, because the hit you take in the wallet is just too big these days.

Bushbasher

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2009, 09:53 AM   #18
YOOT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Ive come to the realization with cars that if you want to turn them over every 3-4 years you better be comfortable loosing stacks of money on them, otherwise you're better off buying 2-3 year old cars at half their new price and running them into the ground...
If you like near new cars its actually cheaper to buy brand new and turn them over every 2-3years.

Cheaper interest rates, no maintenance, cheap servicing, better fuel econmy (maybe) and choosing a model with good resale will cost you less.

Bonus is you have the latest and greatest all the time, and not some bucket that is embarissing to own.

Of course its dear to buy the first one, and the models with the best resale might not be what you want (Falcons for example).

Special case - used BF XR6s with 6-speed autos for under $20K are the bargains of the century. Own one of them for five years and its likely to cost you only $10K in value, and there won't be any major maintenance issues. Maybe braek rotors would be the only thing that needs constant atention in its 7 year life span.
YOOT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2009, 09:57 AM   #19
Busted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieron
Dunno what they are going for privately, but I got 11.5K trade in on my manual 03 XR6 with 148K on the clock. They are asking 17.7K for it now.

Traded it on an FG XR8 and got around 6K discount on that as well.
Thats about right 11.5 would be around w/sale but the 17.7's a tad high. Maybe 15.5 -16 but hay you can always put the price down its harder to put it up.
Busted is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2009, 01:54 PM   #20
mr smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist

?????
mr smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2009, 02:00 PM   #21
mr smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yup, the crap spread about the best time to sell is 3 -4 years is bull. The longer you own a car the less it has cost. The worst time to sell is when the car is 3 - 4 years old, lease cars are different, but for private buyers the best bet is keep your car in good nick and keep for as long as possible. The car industry is going to hurt as people work this out, a 10 year old car can be just as nice as a new one.
mr smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2009, 02:22 PM   #22
68XTFairmont

Quote:
Nope I'm not complaining second hand cars are too cheap. In fact I wasn't complaining at all, just stating a fact about the trade in value of my car. I'm mearly saying that I'm not prepared to lose 20 grand over 2 years on a new car, and the fact that I can't afford a 60 grand GT even if I wanted to. Whether thread posters are going to buy a new car soon due to the good new car discounts was the point of the poll was it not?

Sorry if my financial situation offends
Actually the Poll didn't mention anything about brand new. In the next month I am buying 2 cars the first is an 85 f-350 4x4 and the other is a 1 owner XC GXL that looks better than the day it rolled off the line, In 12 months time the depreciation on any new car bought now will total more than what I am purchasing both of these cars for and they still won't have the style of my GXL with the steel sun visor on the front and venetians in the back lmao
Old 01-02-2009, 11:44 PM   #23
last fairlane
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thumbs up future buying

Im happy with my 1998 AU Fairmont on Tickford factory dual fuel I paid $14k back in March 2003 thats close to six years and have probably spent less than 2 grand on repairs (second hand trans new discs and pads and a reco rack plus tyres, fuel, rego) and all the stuff you have to buy any way. Whether its a S..t box Hyundai @14k or an FG turbo "the one I want" @ $60k. Maybe in about 5 years anyway I reckon Its paid for itself twice over $14k then now worth about $6k you do the Maths (notice I put an S on the end of maths not like the Yanks)what do you reckon
Thanks John
last fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2009, 12:49 AM   #24
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Lucky for me my work cars only have a short lifetime, usually just over 2 years.. As for my Pursuit well its staying till the time comes to get a "family car"... Once that happens ill be hitting up a G6E Turbo i think, but thats a few years away.. Its definately not worth buying these cars for private use then selling them within 2 years, the **** falls outta them!
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2009, 08:51 AM   #25
Bearman
Moderator Ford Coupe Club

Quote:
That'll be my strategy from here on in - after my BA becomes landfill!!

Quote:
That describes my reality perfectly!! I'd love to upgrade to a GT but can't afford to and not prepared to let the coupe go to do this. The reality of trade in values puts the issue beyond doubt, in 20 years time I'll be some old fart driving around in his crappy old BA XR6 that should have been chucked out years ago.

http://www.fordcoupeclub.org

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there" George Harrison 2001.
Bearman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post