View Single Post
Old 26-02-2012, 12:27 PM   #823
BrisVegas
Noobie

Default Re: Whats stopping people from buying the Falcon?

For me, I've never owned a Falcon. The biggest car I've had was a VW Passat with a turbo 4cyl. I've bought new Ford Focus and Fiesta in recent years, and for me a Mondeo is probably as big a car as my wife and I would be comfortable with. Honestly, the Focus was big enough for our needs. We've downsized to one car now and the turbo diesel Pajero ticks a lot of boxes for us.

I think Falcon needs to be merged with Mustang somehow as a niche, performance product. It's best chance to succeed is bang for you buck, honest performance. The Mondeo is a much more rounded family car and offers hatchback and wagon convenience. Territory is a great product and suits the grey nomads for towing. When I'm a bit older and more financially secure, I'd love to buy a Mustang/Falcon performance car, in pretty basic spec like a XR8 for instance. I lived in America for a few years, and the Mustang was considered a cheap car. Sure, there were the hero Cobra models, but A 4.6 GT Mustang at the time, was not really any dearer than a mid-spec Accord/Camry V6. If you could get a Mustang 5.0 for $40k (Commodore SS money), then I reckon that would kickstart a revival. Leave the euro refinement and tech for the Mondeo and small cars. Toyota/Mazda are on the money with the new FT86/RBZ sports coupes. No reason Ford couldn't compete with those two in the bargain "fun" category.
LS Focus Zetec 5dr - gone
WS Fiesta Zetec 5dr - gone