View Single Post
Old 02-05-2021, 10:26 PM   #4
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 
Default Re: Power steering pump leaking

Quote:
Check the Power Steering Pressure Switch, mine leaked from there a couple of times. Not too sure what causes it to fail, but mine was leaking through the switch assembly and out the electrical connector.

To get to it, I believe it's a 14mm, find a sacrificial spanner that you can cut short and grind a bit of the thickness off it so that the 'prongs' of the spanner come to a sharp point.

There's not much clearance to get a spanner in there, so it's easier to just cut the spanner short.

The O rings fails as many of the aftermarket ones are fitted with an O ring that is not resistant to power steering fluid and dissolve away. Aftermarket often come with buna or Nitrile rubber O ring gaskets that are not resistant to power steering fluid and dissolve to mush. Polyacrylate 'O' rings are best. Plumbers tape or master pipe sealant won't work either. For this reason it's worth getting the factory O ring even if you use an aftermarket switch. They are easiest to get at by removing the driver's side front wheel with the car on a solid jack stand and getting to it from below. Better still using a ramp or car lift. Trying to do it from within the engine bay alothough and obvious choice is an uphill struggle. The size of spanner needed can vary as the aftermarket and factory ones have a different size hex to the factory one and even different aftermarket ones can be different; in any event don't assume the spanner used to remove the old switch will also fit the replacement switch. Make sure you use the hex fitting to tighten it otherwise the plastic body bit will crack and leak. Also see https://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11381608 and http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11224081 etc