View Single Post
Old 13-12-2023, 11:20 AM   #28
msford

Default Re: P2002 particulate filter efficiency below threshold

Quote:
Originally Posted by manchu View Post
That's disappointing. I'm no expert buy as I said I reckon it's pretty damn obvious when you've got a faulty sensor so they shouldn't just be throwing parts at it without due consideration, but I suspect that's exactly what's happened.
I'm changing dealers after the past few services. It has changed ownership several times and I'm becoming less satisfied with each subsequent dealing with them.

I have had several bad recommendations from them recently to change parts that they said needed changing. In one instance they wanted to replace something that was going to set me back well over $1k yet it was totally unassociated with the problem and I ended up fixing the actual problem myself after some YouTube tutorials.

So, it wouldn't surprise me if the sensor wasn't the real issue. They wanted to replace another part, as well (nothing to do with the DPF) but I said No to that. I've lost trust in them.

It will mean I'll have to travel further for another dealer but so be it.

Which comes to the point as to why I've reached that decision. After doing some research, over the past few days, on the DPF cleaners I noticed something they all universally mentioned. Before giving them the DPF to clean that I should ensure it wasn't a list of other factors causing the warning. And one of those factors was the correct oil for my diesel engine was used.

Now, the reason I have this 'suspicion' (and it's only a suspicion unless there is a way I can test or verify it) is that all of this engine malfunction issue happened after my last service at that dealer (July this year). And it occurred to me what if they used the wrong oil? I know they shouldn't, but what if they did? Because all the DPF cleaners stated that the wrong oil will cause 'bad' burning and trigger the malfunction warning.

So I'm thinking of getting just an oil change and seeing if that does anything. It's the least expensive, and simplest, test I can do before going down the route of cleaning the DPF.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manchu View Post
So the car goes into limp mode when the error is active?

That's what my isuzu did and while it was still drivable I don't think it's a good idea at all so kept it to bare minimum until it was fixed. It's just unsafe if you don't have the power you usually expect.
Yes, it goes into limp mode. The only power 'failure' is when going up an incline. At all other times you, honestly, wouldn't even know you're in limp home mode. It feels like it drives just as well as any other time. And, on the most recent trip (1800km round trip) driving at 110kph on the Hume Fwy, my fuel economy was identical to any past, regular trip even though I was driving in limp home mode for almost the entirety of the journey. I always get over 1200kms from a tank, sometimes as much as 1300kms on those Hume Fwy drives.

My car is probably only valued at around $6k-$8k so it's just not worth me spending an enormous amount of money to fix it nor can I realistically sell it with such an error so I may as well drive it until it conks out. That's my thinking, anyway.
msford is offline   Reply With Quote