View Single Post
Old 29-01-2006, 12:31 AM   #178
sirhal
Kuga TF Trend

Quote:
Originally Posted by 747FLI
Have just had the rear rotors replaced on my AUI XR8 and there is a squeak from the rear drivers side. However, the squeak disappears when breaking. Have been told that it is most likely the handbrake? My mechanic has loosened it off but still squeaks. Putting the car back in on Monday for him to have another go as he has contacted Ford and they said to shave off part of the horseshoe brake pad.

Anyone had a similar problem?

Dave
Hi

I too have those annoying and embarrassing squeaky brakes!! : But mine comes on during braking!
I was lazy one year and took my car to Midas to get the pads done. $650 later and I had squeaky rear brakes!! I took it back and they told my they were just settling in (they did calliper refurb (told me they were seized), new rear rotors and pads and front machining and pads)..
Nope.. squeaks like a ИИИИИИ! They also told me that my master cylinder was on the way out and I would need to replace it (this via phone call on the day the car was in. "How much" I said. "bout $500" they said. "Umm… no.." I retorted). I then received a letter in the mail just under 1 year later telling me it was under a 1 year warranty and that I should go down and get it checked. After taking the letter out of the bin I thought I might see if they will fix my squeaky brakes. They did not even take the car for a spin when they did the check. I told them they were squeaky etc but they didn't care. Just told me that I had a screw in the front tyre and my muffler was on its way out and they had one in stock and they could easily replace it for me for $180. So I got the tyre fixed ($20) and have not been back since.
I have had the *** of my car apart 4 times and still cannot find nor fix the problem. The reason I have joined this forum is because it's now a lot louder than before. Holding the hand brake up does quieten it down. Also turning to the right gives it another pitch of squeal. Are my bearings gone??
I also have front brake problems too. I recently replaced the front discs cause there was a wabble (2nd time) and machining was too exy. Bout 3 weeks later, the wabble returned. I am not sure if the discs are warped (I drove to Sydney from Brisbane with the new discs) or not. Perhaps the callipers are sticking when sliding? Not sure. I have thought about replacing the entire lot with a BA set ( I heard you could do this??) but am not sure if the cost warrants it.
Other problems with my car since I bought it (2001/56000kms)

• slight rough idle? had something similar once before and changed the spark plug leads. Seemed to fix it. I might need to do it again.
• broken radiator overflow tank (bought new one)
• replaced front discs twice (cause of wobbles)
• dash climate control ( going to send it to that guy in Melbourne when it cools down a bit
• multiple dashboard bulbs (how do I fix this with Blue LEDS? What about dimming?)
• windows sticking (had this repaired once under warranty. Not only do you need to spray it with the silicon spray, but get something like a screwdriver and carefully shove the rubber back into the groove. After time it comes out and grabs the window)
• had the gear box slip a couple of times from 1st to 2nd during a speedy session (should I check the fluid? Ford manual *cough* says it never needs to be touched)
• brake switch replaced/repaired 3 times (replaced twice under warranty. Last time I fixed it myself)
• rear passenger door lock broke 3 times (once under warranty, once a magic super glue fix, but then a wreckers replacement)
• headlight switch knob broke. filled it up with liquid steel (nice.. )
• rev counter sometimes jumps up when idle (no fix)
• sometimes on a really hot day, when you have driven a while and you stop the car, then get in and start it again after under 30 mins, the overheat alarm goes off and the needle goes all the way up. It then drops back down. I ALWAYS turn the car off, wait a minute and then go again and all is good. (no fix)
• Steering rack re-call weld to bolts/nuts
• paint/cover/foam from the driver side inside door handle warn off (yellow now) (no fix)
• steering wheel foam warn away on right side (no fix and I am not going to pay $500+ for a new steering wheel!)
• button 5 on my stereo is intermittent
• alternator crapped out (replaced at local auto electrician $100)
• lots of rear brake bulb and headlight bulb replacements a while back. But (touch wood) I haven't had one in a little while (bad bulb batch?) (could have been related to my alternator problem
• recently getting car static/noise through stereo (I will probably put a noise filter in it, but just wonder why it came on all of a sudden?)

Other than that it’s all good. And these are really minor issues. I love my AU!! I often drive to Sydney with it and it is a dream to dive. And great fuel economy!! With the trip computer telling me how much I have left to go, I get about 850km out of a tank. One day I might lower it and get some nice mags, but until then…

Ty
sirhal is offline   Reply With Quote