View Single Post
Old 08-05-2022, 07:46 PM   #12
Schtoo

Default Re: VICROADS not accepting Commemorative Birth Certificates

I now have 3 'proper' birth certificates thanks to the jerking around I had a few years ago.

Pull up a chair, this might take a while.

I got my passport in Dec. 2001, used it in Feb. 2002 to go to Japan and all was fine. Come Dec. 2011, my passport expires, but it can be renewed easily with an application form, picture and all done by mail. Don't even need it for a visa, so long as I'm in country and still allowed to have a visa.

Fate had other ideas...

Grandpa took a fall in late February, and passed away the next day. Wasn't a bad fall, but he took the opportunity offered to check out at 91 years old.

So I now need to get back to Australia, without a valid passport. Call the consulate in Osaka, they're able to give me an emergency passport. Talk to the local immigration office where I live, who tell me I'm able to get a re-entry permit from the Osaka office (normally not allowed) because of the circumstances. Get the emergency passport, told to get things sorted for a proper passport while I'm 'home' and I get the re-entry permit from someone who says "enjoy your holiday!" jump on the plane and come back.

Because of all the crap going on, I didn't get a chance to do anything. I was back for 4 days, including a funeral in there, but anyway figure I'll be able to sort it all out as I have all the proper paperwork (don't I?) and I'll get to it when I get back to Japan...

Turns out I don't have an original birth certificate. I'll ask BDM for a new one, given enough ID that should be possible, right? RIGHT?

Nope. Not a chance. I could produce any number of valid or expired government issued ID pieces, and it simply wasn't enough for BDM to give me a new birth certificate. No matter what we tried, simply wasn't going to happen. Not from overseas at least. They simply would not budge. My original one, of which I had a photocopy, couldn't be found.

So, on the next planned trip back to Australia for family stuff, I had to then ask the consulate for another emergency passport. Which is not an easy thing to get, because they'll issue one, but a second one? Why the heck didn't you get it replaced idiot? Anyway, after a lot of cajoling and pleading and hoping (it was not a given I'd get it, the issuing officer had to call BDM who confirmed they're a bunch of stubborn pricks) I got the second one and came back to Australia with the primary mission of getting a new passport.

First stop was Vicroads, because my license had expired so needed a new picture and a new license. They don't hand them out anymore, they come from Sydney, and over the new year, it's going to take some time...

1 week later (out of 2 weeks in country) I get the new license, which I then use to drive into BDM for a birth certificate along with all the other ID I need. They looked at the new DL, issued me 3 certificates without much fuss. I asked why it wasn't possible to get one from overseas at all, but any clown could have got one in person with a flash of a DL? They didn't have any good answers for that, and besides I didn't have time to argue and make a scene. Keep in mind these @$$clowns had by now cost me several days and a few grand in trouble, along with annoying the crap out of multiple government officials. Next stop, passport office in Melbourne to get a new PP issued double quick. Told it'll be ready in 3-5 days, but my plane ticket is for 4 days time. Oh crap.

Get the notice my PP is ready at the end of day 3, so I need to collect it on the way to the airport, which I do. Jump on the plane, family in tow, and head back to Japan. Explain to Japanese immigration officials why my visa isn't in my passport, who look skeptical but let me on through anyway. By this time they've canned the re-entry permit stuff so that missing isn't an issue, but they did want to see the exit stamp in the now dead emergency passport.

And that's why I have 3 birth certificates. I can put my hand on one within minutes, no matter where I am. I've gone through enough hassle to make sure I've always got at least one nearby.

Which reminds me, the boy turns 16 tomorrow. Need to get a 'proper' one for him.

Stu.
Schtoo is offline   Reply With Quote
4 users like this post: