Thread: Used car prices
View Single Post
Old 12-06-2021, 08:17 PM   #361
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Used car prices

Quote:
Originally Posted by calais
I've been watching the prices of genuine XW Fairmont V8's for a very long time.

I am still not confident I'll be able to afford what I want (grecian gold, factory 351) by the time I am 50 and still able to enjoy it. I am 35 now and long for the prices of the late 90's seeing them for under 10k in every unique cars magazine I could get my hands on.

Prices are easily north of 100K for immaculate factory V8 cars, north of 75k for clean V8 swapped cars and over 50k for even a 6 cyl beater that is still running.

Is there anyone who might like to hazard a guess as to when prices will soften enough to bring them back to a realistic classic car option? Is it a generational thing? will the early falcon stuff lose popularity as the current owners age and lose interest? Or will the values just keep rising?
Hi Calais, good luck to finding what you wish. Grecian gold, oh wow, what a colour that is. I do not know if they will soften in price soon, for the baby boomers who saw them in their youth, and Gen X who drove them on their P's, still have quite a bit of purchasing power - note all the new 200s and stupendous caravans going around, as well as 3m+ priced coastal property... Not to mention how Gen Z (my kids' mates anyway) regard them in awe when one is around.

From my study of Ford history, the XW Fairmont was available with a 302, but no 351. With the XY you could option the 351 2V and there were about 300 cars so fitted(?). Our Fairmont is late 1969 build, 302 and mechanically optioned as highly as you can without buying a GT. If you want a 351 in one, I'd hazard it would have to be added later, ie non-original.

I remember the late 90's, I had an XW Fairmont V8 wagon bought for 4K. Loved that car but came on hard times and sold it in 99. Kicked myself as it left the driveway. So I determined I'd find another XW Fairmont, took till 2002 working around Australia to find it, an original one with V8 and GS pack at 7K. What I loved about the GS at the time is it had the extra goodies like the dashboard, wheel, rims and stripes, but didn't attract too much attention (then!) compared to the GT which was all colours, decals and noise. Ie people didn't bother with them. Nowadays, however... Also, do you know, for a 52 year old car, it turns over more easily than any car we own! It's just so sweet.
Similarly, I liked the ED Sprint for its understated looks. Maybe that one now is beginning to look classic/valuable? Dunno.

I think the XY years and final years into 2016/7 will remembered as the two peaks of the Australian muscle car industry and will be held in high regard into the future, moreso than the model T days are regarded today (although those were important too!). If we fail to ever make cars again these eras will be extra special.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
they didn't feature in any popular movies ex Hollywood either.
There has been too much violence, too much pain. None here are without sin, but I have an honorable compromise. Just walk away. Leave the pump, the oil, the gasoline, and the whole compound, and I spare your lives. Just walk away. I will give you safe passage in the wasteland. Just walk away and there will be an end to the horror. I await your answer. You have one full day to decide.