View Single Post
Old 17-01-2021, 05:32 PM   #35
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

Default Re: WQ Fiesta XR4 Diagnostics/OBD2 Reverse Engineering

I haven't been able to uncover any more on cruise control. The Focus connects the clutch/brake/throttle lines to the cluster which is why it has more pins. The cruise control buttons are fed to the GEM. The ECU on the Fiesta is the same hardware part number as the 2 Focus, so it might possible to flash the Fiesta ECU with a Focus program. So it is nothing like a BA Falcon which has all throttle and cruise inputs fed direct to the ECU and it can just be turned on - there are dependencies on other modules in the Focus that are not available in the fiesta. It's not clear if it's the IC, the GEM or the ECU that would have the Cruise Control algorithms in it - it could be any of them. Given the IC in the Mk6.5 has the Cruise light on it but it never comes on (is there an LED in behind it by any chance?) it looks like Cruise was pretty close. I'd not be suprised if what they were doingtowards the end of the Mk6 development rolled over into the Mk7 - or if the Mk7 inherited the Focus method. Perhaps I should investigate some Mk7 wiring diagrams with cruise and see how they did it?

Having said all that, the LS Focus cluster looks like it physically fits easily in the Fiesta, and I've seen snippets of someone that has put a whole Focus loom and electronics in a Mk6. But that just seems a step too far in the ludicrous direction.

Luke