View Single Post
Old 21-07-2021, 07:26 PM   #297
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 
Default Re: DFB's Greenthumb Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
Do you reckon I can split a mature, healthy, in-ground Photinia, by chopping the root mass in half? I’ve got one that’s basically wasting space and I’d like to plant it out along a fenceline, with the idea it will grow from the present 1900mm to 2400-3000mm tall in better light.

The idea would be to move one half now, and when that’s established, move the other half.
Winter is the best time to do that sort of thing, so if you are going to try it, do it now.

General rule of thumb is to firstly prune the plant back by about a third, helping to reduce the amount the root system has to support. Dig the plant up, taking as much of the root system as you can, pruning any larger roots that get damaged. Have your transplant hole already dug. Water in well, perhaps with a product from Multi-crop called "Plant Starter", this will encourage the development of new roots. Apply that every 7 -10 days.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
This user likes this post: