View Single Post
Old 21-08-2020, 10:52 AM   #49
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Default Re: Psychos in the Auto-Repair Business

I can see both sides of the fence.

I don't know how common this is but lately it seems workshops are being passed down into the family, operating under the original owners licence. Some good, some terrible.

I know of at least 2 workshops locally where the son has taken over the shop and trading under the family name with crap results.
Some of these shops were so knowledgeable at doing just about everything on site once.
Now the (usually half qualified) son takes over, does a lot of guessing and misdiagnosing stuff at the cost of the client. Usually likes farming everything out cause he hasn't a clue or relying on his second rate mechanics he underpays to fix stuff they are not really interested in.

I know with older cars most couldn't be bothered as the time diagnosing stuff without computers takes so much of their time let alone chasing obsolete parts that are slow to turn up taking up valuable limited space.

I guess, these days it wouldn't be easy running a workshop, trying to keep up with the technology and I understand the poor mechanic is expected to know everything about everything in a blink of an eye.
Just dealing with govco paper work and EPA laws would be the tipping point, let alone angry customers waiting on their cars to be done.

If your happy with your mechanic, great otherwise we all need to get back to learning how to fix stuff ourselves.

roKWiz is online now   Reply With Quote
2 users like this post: