Thread: Used car prices
View Single Post
Old 13-08-2020, 03:28 PM   #72
fiestaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Used car prices

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spammy View Post
If dealers are offering $18k as trade in, I'm a buyer at $23k with cash in my pocket and there are a dozen cars that have been advertised for 2 months priced at $30k - then what are they worth?
Not that it made sense from the start, but this statement is not making sense.

There needs to be some perspective here. Red book says $18k for a trade in on an is250, no doubt that will comply to a km range. However, what the dealer pays for that trade in may not reflect what redbook says value wise. There is too many variables on that trade in figure.

For example. An is250 with 50,000kms in average condition may trade for The redbook value of $18k. Another exactly the same, but in absolute mint condition may go for $20k. But another dealer may trade that exact same month condition car for $15k because that’s what they got them at.

Apart from just trying to be a low baller which lets be honest no one likes, your basing your market values off the wrong figures. Private vs dealer are seperate markets most of the time. Generally private is cheaper than dealer. Really you should be going through car sales and other sites with your criteria for a car. See what results come up, see how they compare and work out what you want and what suits your budget.

I worked at a Toyota and Lexus dealership. The redbook value was rarely used, most of the time our valuers would look at car sales to see what cars are listed for and work it out from there. They would read the market.

Sticking with this redbook value is pointless.
3 users like this post: