View Single Post
Old 18-03-2012, 10:20 AM   #41
Fiesta_Man69
Banned

Default Re: WS Fiesta - Alternative Long Term Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fez WQ
It is the normal sound these engine make they have a knock sensor that controls this. On 91 your engine will rattle more this is due to lower octane and this is explanied in the manual of most euro cars that are sold in Aust
I have several workshops, including Herrod Ford - who said on especially on 98 the thing should be "humming beautifully, take the car back to Ford"- that will disagree with you FezWQ.

I also don't believe any workshop has examined your car.

Why? You would have made mention of this long ago, esp. when you were wikipediaing your defence. Now you've had "family friends" look at it? Sure...

And because you know of only one Fez engine that's had a "timing belt break, that's it" - this is supposed to be a comprehensive assessment? Please. I think you should take Caydus' advice and ignore this thread from now on.

Trumpy - your engine shouldn't be making any knocking or pinging sounds.

There's an easy way to settle this, as I did early on.

If the engine is "meant" to run like this, as others claim, then go into any Ford dealer, tell them your interested in buying a used WS, same as yours, and take it for a comprehensive test drive. Do this in a few yards and if you can find several for sale with the pinging noise similar to yours then you shouldn't have anything to worry about. If, like myself, the cars you drove ran dead set quietly, smoothly with no pinging no matter how stupidly you loaded the engine, then you should be concerned, as yours is different. I think we have the same degree of serious pinging - Ford is aware of it but is backing the engines to last the warranty period - hell of a lot cheaper than a recall on all Fezs sold with the 1.6 to check, isn't it?

The long and the short of it is: the Fez was designed to run on 95, which it should do beautifully. It can run on 91, and the ECU should be able to essentially detune the engine so it doesn't lean out and ping, and on 98 you should have marginally more power and get slightly better fuel response. No where, not with any of the 3 fuels, should there be any pinging.

I'd love to be able to tell you that the noise from your engine was normal, don't worry about it, but I've driven many other Fezs that don't do it: it appears as though we're just unlucky, in the minority and Ford isn't worried about doing the right thing by us or issuing a recall for such an issue.
Fiesta_Man69 is offline   Reply With Quote