Thread: Panic Attacks
View Single Post
Old 17-06-2011, 12:53 AM   #63
Dr Jekkyl

Default Re: Panic Attacks

I think it is a great thing that mental illess is being openly discussed by men here on AFF.

I have personal experience with both depression and anxiety, and I have experienced panic attacks. They are quite possibly the most horrible feeling you will ever encounter. You DO feel like you are going to DIE!

Their is an extensive evidence base for the management of anxiety and panic in medical literature. The current consensus is that a combination of both medication AND psychotherapy is the most effective means of treating these disorders. Of the individual therapies, medication is largely a band-aid solution for anxiety BUT it does get the ball rolling, so to speak. Psychotherapy (namely cognitive-behavioural therapy) is the most beneficial monotherapy. Exercise is also proven to be beneficial.

Unfortunately, some GPs are not fully informed about anxiety treatments. As they are usually the first point of medical contact, management of anxiety may not go beyond them and so it may be sub-optimal. I strongly advise that anybody struggling to control their anxiety seek a referral to a psychiatrist with an interest in anxiety disorders.
Dr Jekkyl is offline   Reply With Quote