View Single Post
Old 13-06-2021, 02:52 PM   #46
ozpacman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Car mods you've regretted

Many years ago I had the motor out of my '76 Corvette in order to basically re-engineer the RHD steering conversion. It was a basic L-48 350 which are a low compression and pretty much asthmatic sort of a lump, so a decision was made to 'freshen her up'.

Anyway I sourced a set of fuellie heads and a new set of higher compression pistons, as well as an Edelbrock Performer intake and a four barrel Holley to top it off. I also bought a nice mild Crane cam and a new set of lifters. Nothing radical at all, just wanted a nice tractable engine. Anyway, a mate talked me into using a cam he had. I was a bit wary as I always reckoned his cars were 'over-cammed'. He assured me this one was really mild and that's why he didn't want it.

So we fitted this lump stick and put everything back together, including a change of torque converter to help liven things up. Well, what a disappointment. The thing idled like a race car and went well in a straight line at wide open throttle, but was an absolute pig to drive on the street. I learned a very valuable lesson about the 'bigger is better' mentality!
ozpacman is offline   Reply With Quote
2 users like this post: