View Single Post
Old 23-04-2024, 02:32 PM   #72
Dr Terry
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Why so few old Falcons remaining compared to Commodores?

Quote:
Originally Posted by prktkljokr View Post
You would be surprised how many Euro componets are in the VE and VF Commodore.

To say the VE was totally 100% Australian designed and built is true in the fact it was assembled here, but there is a fair amount of it that is made in other countries not specificly for the VE but other GM cars around the world, a lot of the parts have the manufacturing country stamped on them and have other part numbers for other vehicles not sold here.

I have wrecked more VB-VF's than I have had hot dinners, I have seen where the parts are made and I was surprised how much of it actually came from Europe, I know they are based off the Australian Zeta platform which ilends itself to the 2010–2015 Chevrolet Camaro so it uses parts from Mexico.

But the Pre VE were all based off the European platforms, then they thought it would be a good idea to go back to the Euro stuff with the ZB, what a mistake that was.

The VE and VF was the best decision Holden had made since the end of the H series, but unfortunately it was too late, the ZB was the hammer pounding the last nail in the coffin.
I'm not saying that some VE/VF bits didn't come from Europe. What I'm saying is that by VE there was virtually no German/Opel design input. Most cars are built with parts from many countries.

The sad part about the ZB, was that it wasn't such bad a car. Sure it wasn't a real RWD Aussie Commodore, but as a FWD Euro car it was better than many of its peers.

Dr Terry
Dr Terry is online now   Reply With Quote