View Single Post
Old 16-06-2021, 12:02 AM   #81
Top_Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has been consistently providing good technical advice etc. to AFF members, by having the vast technical knowledge he has with the various Ford products. A valuable AFF member 
Default Re: Psychos in the Auto-Repair Business

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowsnake View Post
No names, no pack drill on this one!

25 or so years ago, or so, I had the displeasure of agreeing to do a bit of work for a guy who imported trucks of a certain make into Australia.

He was a shonk, scammer, wheeler dealer without any morals, ethics or conscience!

One day he asked me to do a certain job on a steering arm on a 10 cubic metre tipper, he had done a certain conversion to change it from one model to another, he gave me 2 different steering arms, with 2 different female splines and said, " here cut these 2 and make 1 out of both with tha same splines "....I said to him I couldn't do it?...he said why not, I said cos its bloody illegal, he said so what, no one will know, I said I would and I am not doing it full stop!

This guy would not let up, I said just buy a new one, he said I can't, he said he would have to change the steering box and he didn't have time to find one, I said if this breaks with 10 tonne of load its gonna be an outta control missile?

And they will trace it to you, then me as the welder and you would deny you ordered me to do it!

He just smiled and said he would be on a plane to America before it got to him, I told him to shove his job "where a duck couldn't stick its beak" and packed my tools and left.

I saw the truck on the road a few times and always wondered if he did the steering arm repair/fix, but I wasn't game to ask the owner driver, he was the Chapter President of a very well known OMG, I often wonder who they got after me, whoever it was they had to be good at their job, but pretty thick on the common sense scale!

Cheers King Billy

It does happen. Years ago someone did a dodgy repair on a truck axle. 10 years later that axle broke and the wheel came off and killed a roadside worker.
VicRoads traced the repair back 10 years and prosecuted the repairer and they did jail time.
Top_Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote
2 users like this post: