View Single Post
Old 12-06-2021, 10:08 PM   #451
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Australia - China - Poltics

The following is a true story, when building a plant for Chinese owned company in WA:

We were notified that a new "Project Director" had been sent from Beijing. We expressed our condolences to the (Chinese) guy who had been managing the project to date. Don't worry he said, this new "Project Director" comes to work in his slippers, sleeps in his office till lunch time, then plays golf on his computer.

The approved budget was $60M. Even though we had been giving them a $120M forecast for months, they never passed on that on or sought approval. When we finally exceeded the approved budget we received a letter from the head of the corporation in Beijing, telling us to cease work and demob immediately.
Don't worry said the project manager, the letter is not signed, which mean that you can ignore it. From now on, we have "Gentlemen Agreement, just us three in this office" to finish project.
How do we get paid? "Don't worry, on Friday I go to play golf with my 'special friend', he will talk to his friend at the Bank of China, and I get you $20M." Next week I get a phone call from head office "the bank just rang, we've received a telegraphic transfer for $20M USD, with nothing but your name on it!"

The Chinese ARE ruthless, they do put "China First", AND think very long-term. But they are also corrupt, dishonest, and insanely xenophobic.
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote