View Single Post
Old 21-05-2020, 08:27 PM   #24
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: DFB's Greenthumb Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
Nandina domestica nana / Dwarf Sacred Bamboo.

Don't let the common name fool you, this is not an actual bamboo. This variety of Nandina is a very popular plant, seemingly never going out of fashion. And for good reason. These plants are quite versatile, being able to be grown from full shade to full sun and will tolerate frost, neglect and drought. With a height and spread of about 60cm x 60cm, these Nandina are very low maintenance plant and require little to no pruning to maintain a compact, bushy habit. Their best feature however is the stunning red foliage display in autumn and winter. They make a nice low boarder, look great under trees or as a lower story planting under standard roses.

Nandina is one of my go to favorites for people who want a low maintenance gardening.
Your life sounds like a facsimile of mine!

I’ve planted more nandina nana than I care to remember, it’s not a bad infill plant, and turning red in winter, it’s an easy sell when designing a landscape.
Over the last few years I’ve moved on to the Moon Bay variety with its more upright pointed leaves, it’s a quick grower, but doesn’t colour up in winter like the original. My nandina breakthrough has been realising that they can be clipped into hedges and spheres, so, hello billable hours!

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz