View Single Post
Old 21-05-2023, 03:41 PM   #1
asimplelife
mechanical novice hopeful
Donating Member2

Default AU2 & AU3 I6 ECU/PCM Catch Codes and LPG?

I haven't been able to find my own answers to these ones.
So am hoping someone with more knowledge can help me out please.

I wonder if it was entirely necessary to have so many PCM/ECU catch codes :(
I can see why VCT, XR Auto Adaptive Shift, Dedicated LPG, Dual Fuel LPG, Police Option 20, Fairmonts and Fairlanes would be different.

1. Apart from that, are all PCM/ECU's the same across sedans, wagons and utes? With the BEM handling any differences?

2. And why do some PCM/ECU's have the codes changed in texta?
For instance a 12MB was changed to 12MC.
My theory is this is likely when a Ford dealership has re-flashed them for some reason? (when they remembered the texta

3. Finally, to my real question, I have a PCM with catch code 12MB and handwritten in texta (of course) is "AUII Ded Gas Man".
According to the PCM "lists" this should be an; AU2 4.0L Manual, File name NGIC6M4, PCM Part Number 1R23-MB, Module Id ETV-735.
There is no mention of Gas or LPG for a 12MB.
For LPG Dual Tickford it should start with 12Z.
And for LPG Dedicated it should start with 12L.

In my manual conversion into an after market dual fuel S3 Op20 auto sedan, using FORScan PATS I successfully connected this 12MB PCM. The engine turns over. However it would not start. Which I assume tells me this PCM is somehow dedicated LPG. So it must have been dealer flashed to LPG at some time? It's not got a J3 chip.

Anyway, I can buy another 12MB PCM for $100, but it would be a shame to waste more money to get the same result.
asimplelife is offline   Reply With Quote