Thread: Used car prices
View Single Post
Old 15-08-2020, 03:13 PM   #128
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Used car prices

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swordie View Post
Having sold a very popular late model car for a family member 2yrs ago I found low ball offers was a big waste my time. Especially when the offers were way below market price. There was time I had to prepare the car, drive over and meet the person / people. I suppose it is all part of trying to sell a car. It doesn't mean I have to like. I told one person they had wasted my time with a ridiculous offer.
I now its very frustrating, taking time to meet people, show them the car, test-drive etc, and in some cases even let them take it for mechanical inspection.

I had a guy who seemed very genuine, made a reasonable offer, paid a deposit subject to mechanical inspection, took it for said inspection which apparently turned up nothing specific (It was a 15 year old car that had done 150kk) but still pulled out of the deal.
The Irony is that he wasted far more time than somebody sending me a low-ball text.

I'd actually prefer that people low-ball up front, and so not waste both our times.

And reality is that every seller is different, and some are very unpredictable, so you can't tell who might except a low offer. It does sometimes happen.