View Single Post
Old 30-09-2022, 07:11 PM   #1989
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 
Default Re: Car Detailing - What products are your go to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordomatic View Post
Anyone used anything from Chemical Guys that is good? Supercrap have 30% off so I wouldn't mind trying something different.
I bought a selection of Chemical Guys products a few years ago to see what they were like. Put it this way, I have not ordered a single thing from them again. In fact, all have been given away, thrown away or hiding at the back of the cabinet unused.

The Bare Bones I got for dressing wheel arch liners. I used it once and immediately regretted it owing to the oily appearance and subsequent dust attraction.

The New Car Scent was ok, very chemical smelling though.

The Mat Renew would have to be one of the worst car care products I have ever used, absolute garbage! While it lathered up very well, it did not actually offer any cleaning ability whatsoever, nor did it make the makes look like new like it says on the bottle. I had great pleasure throwing that in the trash!

The only product I liked was VRP, probably their best product, but then I haven't me many tyre dressings I didn't like. Smelt nice, gave even coverage, looked great. Didn't last long though, a Chemical Guys thing to be honest.

https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p/...gid=SCA8001931

While I have not used them, I am led to believe that their soaps are pretty good.

I wrote this reply on another (American) forum, which I suspect I may offended a few of the good-old-boys who love to be patriotic about the brands made in their country. I don't care, when you have tried as many detailing brands as I do with an open mind, well, I know what the story is:

"Readers, please don' take this as an insult or directed at anyone in particular, I LOVE detailing products and use MANY different brands, so these comments are in line with my natural analytical thought process.

Chemical Guys have a very strong marketing system that equates to the MORE IS MORE method of creating a product line up. Put simply, they have far too many products that do the same thing. In theory, this means if one particular product doesn't entice, chances are they will have several alternatives that do a similar thing, potentially keeping buyers in the brand. From my perspective, don't offer me 10 different tire dressings, just give me your BEST product.

Also, this is a brand that is designed to be very approachable and user friendly. Nothing wrong with that, if it gives people the confidence to work on their car, then all good. But the tradeoff is longevity and ultimate results are reduced.

One thing I have found common with the use of Chemical Guys are the comments along the lines of "they don't last long". This means two things: One, the products are designed to be easy to use to suit all abilities at the expense of durability. Two, a product that doesn't last long needs to be topped up or used more often, meaning it needs to be purchased more often.

At the end of the day, if someone is using a Chemical Guys product and likes the results, then that is all that matters. I have used Chemical Guys products, the only one I liked was VRP dressing. However, the subject of the thread is what is the BEST tire dressing, and VRP is certainly not the best.

So, short answer, don't waste your money on them mate.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
4 users like this post: