View Single Post
Old 13-06-2021, 05:47 PM   #314
whynot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Twilight for the traditional ICE automobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMB View Post
Fast charging is going to be a major obstacle because of the infrastructure required. Just the cabling alone will be a problem. Imagine how huge the cabling would have to be to deliver the power required by a fuel station with say 20 outlets. Then you often have mutiple stations in an area, so you will need massive cables supplying that area. Similar problem will occur with charging at home, your small street might have 50-100 homes all trying to fast charge at the same time.
I was reading an interesting article the other day, about how much power is used by all ICE used for transport in the world. They calculated that to replace them all with electric, we will have to start building power stations at the rate of one a week to meet requirements. How accurate that is I dont know, but even if they are wrong by an order of magnitude, it makes the point that we (average Joe) dont really understand the problem.

For size of cabling to a fast charging station, smaller than one might think.

https://www.olex.com.au/eservice/Aus...Three_Core.pdf

Assuming the 185mm2 11kV cable selected, this is good for 341A @ 11kV. This is approximately 6.5MW. Assuming 200kW chargers, this is around 32 chargers. A 185mm2 cable will fit into a 100mm (4") duct.

As for houses, they will probably be fitted with slower chargers to charge overnight. I suspect there will be more use of off-peak tariffs to encourage EV to charge after the evening peak. There is a lot of idle electrical network capacity between 11PM and 6AM. Good time to really soak up the electrons.
whynot is offline   Reply With Quote