View Single Post
Old 05-01-2024, 07:45 PM   #5447
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 
Default Re: Geez! I hate that!

My Dad decided he wanted a smart TV with Netflix capabilities, so he went and bought a new Sony on Boxing Day.

I arrived to see the thing left in the box, with the expectation I would set it up for him. I managed to get it hooked up with minimum of stress. But.......................

No one knows how the work the thing but me. Instead of defaulting to what the TV was on when it was turned off, each time it turned on you have to select the output, which for two 70 years olds, that's just all too hard for them, even after I put paint pen on the two, yes two, buttons they had to push.

I have the same problems with phone for them. All they want is the thing to be a phone, and yet it's made so deliberately overcomplicated for people like that. Next time they get new phones, its NO MORE APPLE products for them! Great for those who use the thing all day, but needlessly complicated and difficult for people who didn't grow up with this stuff. Not everyone can process that sort of thing, and because they can't, they keep pressing buttons until something bad happens. Ask me how I know this.

And so, I have the same complaint about the bloody TV, why can't it just be a TV? Oh, and now I'm paying for a Netflix account that I have no need for, and my Dad won't ever figure out to use it himself!

Oh, and I have no idea how much that new TV cost, but considering the size of the thing, I would imagine it wasn't cheap. What is cheap though is the sound output from the TV itself. Clearly Sony know what they are doing, I'm sure they are more than happy to sell you a sound bar to go with the TV. As it stands, the sound is so tinny and thin that even the 15-year-old TV it replaced sounded better. I'm going to donate my old sound bar once my new system arrives.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
4 users like this post: