View Single Post
Old 11-12-2023, 05:39 PM   #67
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 
Default Re: DFB's Image Collection

BA Falcon Ute

One of the surprises of the AU Falcon era was the popularity of the Ute models, a real shining light and a product so fit for purpose.

Where previous Falcon Utes, well all Ford Utes, had a continuous body panel from the doors to the end of the tub, for the AU Ford created a separate cabin and tub structure. It’s questionable as to whether this is actually a “Ute”, but what it did do was give Ford the flexibility to produce a cab-chassis model without the need for another set of body panels. You may think what the problem with that, well the cost tool up the stamping equipment, then all the body and crash engineering is way more than you would think. Having a dual purpose body would have saved Ford considerable cost and time. It was also a neater execution, just look at the plethora of shut and join lines that Holden resorted to in creating a 1-Tonne Commodore Ute.

The flipside to offering a “Ute” and Cab-Chassis was the loss of the Falcon Van. Much like how the Japanese 1-tonne pickups (note that I don’t call these “Utes”) killed the idea of a Falcon/Commodore Ute, the expansion of dedicated Vans sort of killed the Falcon Van. Not that I’m suggesting either situation is a replacement, I still believe there is a place for a more passenger car based Ute or Pickup, it’s just no car company has the balls to bring them to this country. If there is one shining example of all we have lost without local car manufacturing, it’s the loss of the Ute.

The BA Falcon Ute followed the sedan and wagon range, with the majority of the range arriving in showrooms at the same time. There were some exceptions, the XR6 Turbo and XR8 Utes arrived at the start of 2003, as did the EGAS engine and 3-seater versions of the XL. All models got the sedans front end styling from the A pillar forward, although the windscreen and roof were unchanged compared to the sedan. Because the front quarter panels were pumped out quite a bit more, a plastic trim piece was used to cover up the gap between the carry over sill panels and the new pressings, applicable for all models not fitted with side skirts. You don’t notice this with the sedan or wagon because those had plastic side skirts as standard. The rear styling remained unchanged save for new badges. There was a running change later into the run that integrated the reverse light into the tail lamps, which you can identify by the orange strip within the lamps rather than the red/clear of all previous AU/BA Utes.

The interior was also brought into line with the sedan, with just about everything being new and only minor parts left alone.

Mechanically, the BA Ute used all the new engines from the sedan lineup. Just think about that for a second. A vehicle on sale with a choice of engines and gearboxes, regardless of model grade, to suit the buyers needs. An LPG engine with a manual gearbox, sure. A base model with vinyl floors combined with a V8 engine and manual gearbox, why not. A fire breathing turbocharged inline 6 powerhouse, go for your life. These days, Pickup buyers are basically locked into a diesel 4 cylinder and automatic gearbox, take it or leave it.

In response to the Japanese Pickups gaining traction, Ford made the most of what they had in typically Aussie tradition, launching the RTV in September 2003. This was also when they changed the tail lamps. With raised ride height, bash plates and a diff lock and 1 tonne suspention, the RTV went places a standard Falcon Ute couldn’t. Ford added wheel arch flairs, a unique egg crate grill and alloy wheels to differentiate the RTV from the XL and XLS. The EGAS, Barra 182 and Barra 220 V8 were all available in manual or auto, ABS was standard. I think its telling the RTV commands a healthy premium on the used market to this day.

I actually have the RTV promotional mini-DVD floating around somewhere, probably watched that a million times now. I can't be the only one who grinned from ear to ear when the Barra 220 was being given a boot full climbing that hill and splashing through the mud from the 40-sec mark. That video also runs through the rest of what was on that DVD, colourizer/specs ect.

Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten

Last edited by DFB FGXR6; 11-12-2023 at 05:46 PM.
DFB FGXR6 is online now   Reply With Quote
5 users like this post: