Thread: Retirement
View Single Post
Old 12-02-2023, 11:24 AM   #83
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Retirement

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefargo View Post
politicians can access their super when they leave office. there is no age requirement for them. I was told that by a state politician. I worked with his wife and at a social function I asked what his future plans were, as he was voted out. He didn't seem to be overly worried about finances.

This is going back about 20 years now. it may have changed but I doubt they would have made it harder for themselves.
I don't know of one politician retiring on struggle street. Don't they get something generous like 15% super, and on a fair wicket in salary too? Compound over 20-30 years, that's a HUGE difference over average Joe. Makes delaying the increase in average Joe's super very hard to swallow.

I'm not banking on the pension system to be there when I retire. I think its going to look very different in 20-30 years time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son View Post
There's no reason that purpose has to be work. Take up a hobby that you want to excel at. Without work in the way, you'll have plenty of time to work on it.
I'm only guessing, but I think at work he felt needed and valued. Like if he didn't do the job, there were consequences. Personally, I think volunteer work is a good option, but some of the activities can be quite tedious.

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.
T3rminator is offline   Reply With Quote
3 users like this post: