View Single Post
Old 04-10-2022, 12:00 PM   #86
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: e-Scooters - opinions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
Been a couple of deaths in the last few weeks with these things, what they all have in common is all three they weren't wearing helmets when they ate ****.

Repeated calls for bans on these things are ridiculous, it would be like banning cars because a couple deaths from people not wearing seat belts and dying in accidents.

The way I see it they should be treated like motorbikes, allow privately owned escooters that can do higher speeds but enforce safety through helmets and clothes - you want to ride the 50km/h+ escooter then you're wearing motorbike helmet plus proper clothes, otherwise fine.
Haven't heard anyone calling for a ban. Self inflicted injuries....well you take the risk so I don't really care, but its the injuries they cause to innocent pedestrians that ****s me. Should be treated as culpable driving, if some nong ran into my mum or dad....or nephew...or niece doing 60kmh on a shared path, I'd be livid.

Anyway, Limes and Neurons are legal here. I suspect they are built solid, and to a certain standard, unlike some of the high powered ones you get off ebay. There have been 3 deaths in the last 2 weeks, I think all from privates. I really like the idea of ebikes and escooters for city commute, so don't mind them as long as people treat them with respect. That also means motorists will need to learn to co-exist. good luck with that here.

Europe have had these for a while, so they would have gone through all the teething issues around safety and co-existence. They also have better infra to cater for these things IMHO. Put it this way, I had no fear riding a push bike around London with no helmet. There is no chance in hell I'd ride a push bike in the CBD here. Roads and paths are badly made, they were not designed for this type of commute, and I don't trust the motorists here In Amsterdam you see mums and dads putting their kids in a little tub attached to the front of the bike, and they ride around. I can't see any sane person doing that on our roads.

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.

Last edited by T3rminator; 04-10-2022 at 12:06 PM.
T3rminator is online now   Reply With Quote