View Single Post
Old 24-09-2022, 11:20 PM   #185
WagonJunkie

Default Re: 2001 AUII ute immobilizer problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiblue View Post
Also check that an aftermarket immobiliser is not, and was never in the past, spliced into the BCM to ignition switch wiring inside the steering column shroud or at the ECU/PCM to BCM wiring -look for evidence of taped over wiring splices. The solder joints tend to become brittle and dry jointed even after the aftermarket immobiliser is removed. They also often run too much current though the stock wiring so the strands in the wiring melt or burn through or fail in other way. Both these issues will often creates the comms fault you have,
I'm the second owner. I don't believe there was ever an extra security system.(christ, the factory one is effective enough?!) There's no funny keys, brochures, manuals or window stickers to indicate anything was fitted. No extra dash lights either.
But I will have at look at the wiring and see if there's any ****-****ery going on there.
Basically it's a bog stock, unmodified AUIII SE ute with 3 cloth seats, column shift auto, vinyl floor, buggered stereo, no roof liner. It's an old tired ute. But I like driving it and it's useful to me. Before this issue it has been super dependable.

I did notice some schmutz under the floor vinyl near the PCM/ECU on the passenger side. Almost looks like an old insect nest or something. Lots of little **** stains and granules of crud around the PCM/ECU box.
But I was having trouble getting the vinyl and the bottom of the glove box out of the way enough to see down there properly.
I will revisit next week....
WagonJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote