Thread: Covid 19 -
View Single Post
Old 10-09-2021, 09:15 AM   #14751
AlanD
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Covid 19 -

Hi Slowsnake,

My wife is on a course of Dexamethasone as eyedrops because she has some retinal inflammation and the WHO (go here: https://www.who.int/emergencies/dise...-dexamethasone ) says:

Quote: Dexamethasone is a corticosteroid used in a wide range of conditions for its anti-inflammatory and immunosuppressant effects.

It was tested in hospitalized patients with COVID-19 in the United Kingdom’s national clinical trial RECOVERY and was found to have benefits for critically ill patients.

According to preliminary findings shared with WHO (and now available as a preprint), for patients on ventilators, the treatment was shown to reduce mortality by about one third, and for patients requiring only oxygen, mortality was cut by about one fifth.
End quote.

So I would guess it is probably being provided as a preventative medication to control inflammation associated with your condition. (And you have my sympathy in respect of this) At least you are in a state which is somewhat
better insulated from the virus than are most of us and have a premier who hasn't forgotten that the first responsibility of a government is the protection and welfare of the population. In respect of Covid it would appear only to be of benefit if you are A) infected and B) in dire straits. Everyone, and especially people with existing medical conditions, ought be doing everything they can to not catch Covid and minimise their chances of serious disease if they do. I am quite sure you are - be thankful you are not living in the Southeast of Australia.

Now I'll probably draw a comment or two about the third sentence in the last paragraph, so I'll give my reasons for it.

There is a difference between the first responsibility of a government and a political party. As already stated for a government but for a political party it is to do whatever is necessary and legal to remain in power. It's my opinion that some governments in this country, in respect of Covid, are getting the two things mixed up. And there is the problem because rarely do the two things benefit one another.

But that's the nature of politicians.

Cheers

Our Drive: Mondeo
MD TDCi Titanium Wagon
Ruby Red

8 users like this post: