Thread: Mowing ..
View Single Post
Old 04-02-2021, 10:55 AM   #867
Work Horse
Budget Racer

Default Re: Mowing ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
I was very much a Stihl man but I can echo your sentiments.

I have had a few BG55 / BG 86 blowers. I currently have two because a few years ago the oldest one seemingly seized. I replaced with a new one and threw it in the shed until I discovered that there is a pretty simple reason/fix for this problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGwvi0Q8zqA

Seems that the three bolts that attach the engine to the blower body work loose over time, jamming the flywheel. Stihl don't use thread lock for these bolts.

So now I have two running BG86's, one is hard to start in hot and humid weather, the other has a failed ignition switch and a dodgy starter.

Will definitely looking at my options when it comes time to replace these.
My BG 86 is now 5 years old it did the same thing more than once
Also;
-Bolts attaching head and crankcase became loose
-Carb return spring broke, not a service item!! The guy at the Sthil shop I have used for 25+years took me behind the counter to show me the parts he could order. Broken return spring=new carb at $100+. I ended up with an ebay carb for $28 delivered in two days that works fine but for how long?
-Clamp system holding nozzle on failed so is now held on with self tappers
- Muffler continually came loose, so very strong loctite applied to the bolts the last time it happened. To my utter disbelief the muffler came loose again this week. On inspection bolts still firmly loctited in place, they are never coming out but the muffler has broken away from the mounting.

Sorry

So I am in the market for a new blower, what do you guys recommend?
I have had several Sthil blowers but have been burned this time (let it go Work Horse)
I have had Echo blowers in the past and they went well.