Thread: Mowing ..
View Single Post
Old 03-12-2018, 06:57 PM   #186
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 
Default Re: Mowing ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by roddy1960 View Post
DFB FGXR6...I rang Launceston Mowers and Chainsaws , northern Tassie's Husky dealership . Got James .. He told me that 50 to 1 mix is the book recommendation , that's okay and no issues but they actually recommend 40 to 1 . He said 25 to 1 is too much oil/additive and will block the machine over time . I told him I'd yet to really use mine so he said to start it on 40 to 1 from day one and it'll run great . So they're both kind of right I suppose . I mix my own anyway so that's what I'll do ...
Thanks for the info. The salesman was adamant that 25:1 was what I should be using and to disregard what the manual stated. I could even tell it had 25:1 in the initial fill from the dealer by the way it smelled. I suppose the theory is that it will extend the engines life but from my experience, most machines fall apart around the engine, like a Falcon

I actually add just a bit more oil to my mix than the usual 50:1 ratio so I'm probably close to the 40:1 you were advised.I use Stihl full synthetic two-stroke oil which has reduced the amount of carbon deposited into the muffler. Its expensive but it saves me time having to unblock exhaust screens.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is online now   Reply With Quote