View Single Post
Old 09-12-2017, 11:35 AM   #33
dstirrup
Starter Motor

Default Re: AU Waterpump Replacement Guide

FYI - My notes from doing this job a couple of times.

Prep
Remove the fan assembly. Easy enough, unplug fans, remove 2 bolts and wiggle out. If paranoid an accident will damage radiator fins then stick some fibre board etc against the radiator. Yes I have done that damage...

Unbolt Power steering pump. Easy again, 3 bolts accessible with a thin long 3/8 or 1/4 10mm socket through the holes in the pulley . If you have a weep on the high pressure side outlet then replace the O ring with a FRESH 8 x 2.5mm, preferably Nitrile rubber. Beware of the crap Chinese green O rings. Not nitrile and last about 5 minutes. Yeah I know, get what you pay for. Good O rings cost next to nothing from bearing suppliers and are fresh stock (usually).

Water pump bolt locations
So you don't get cranky because you were in too much of a rush like someone I know personally - Me

Top 2 bolts are short

Lower left is long where the Alternator bracket attaches - Duh, there is this 1cm spacer thing there

Bottom is intermediate length

If the heater return pipe end is pitted from corrosion like mine was then either replace it now or Clean, clean, clean the pipe end, O ring and place where they insert into the water pump with Metho so it is raw clean. Did I say clean from oil enough? Then stick in an RTV silastic so it STICKS and does not let go. Otherwise you will have to repeat in a month or 2..

Next time the water pump goes you will of course remember to have acquired a replacement good condition return pipe to replace them both eh? Don't forget to replace the heater hoses and valve whilst replacing return pipe. Also check the vacuum line is still good...

Of course I learnt all this the hard way so you don't have to which is a purpose of this forum.
dstirrup is offline   Reply With Quote