View Single Post
Old 29-08-2017, 11:41 PM   #255
Iggle Piggle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Australia housing bubble

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesa View Post
And like that wasn't bad enough then came the national effort to keep wages low so that they didn't also increase in proportion to the houses, just to scrape even more money out of people.

We introduced visas so that companies could claim they couldn't find suitably-qualified aussies to hire and instead bring someone over on dirt cheap wages. How many people lost their jobs? Couldn't find qualified people, my ***. More like 'couldn't find qualified people at the ridiculously low price that I want to pay'.

And whats-his-face introduced Work Choices which really sunk the boot in.

Anyway, my point is that there has been a concerted effort to block wage growth in this country. Now we're in this predicament for no other reason than the sheer greed of your average australian.
Lists several reasons, then says there's only one reason.

I own one house - the one I live in (well, me and the bank own it)...but I don't begrudge average Aussie's putting their nuts on the line to secure a better future for themselves and their families. They don't make the rules, they just play by them...bit rough putting it all on them. And yes, they do take a risk...investing in property is not a guarantee of success - it can and has gone wrong for many in the past, and will go wrong for some in the future.

Do agree there are issues, always has been...different issues for different reasons to different degrees...but putting the blame on the average Aussie is missing the mark. Several governments from both sides of politics have got us here.
Iggle Piggle is offline   Reply With Quote
2 users like this post: