Thread: New to cycling
View Single Post
Old 26-11-2015, 12:41 PM   #2148
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 
Default Re: New to cycling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streets View Post
Does anyone have any experience with those little stands that you use to turn your bike into a stationary bicycle? I'm too lazy to go outside anymore.

These sort of things: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-INDOO...-/221772406504

Do they work with mountain bikes? Can you go hard on them or do you have to be careful not to tip over?
They are ok, but you may not get much of a workout on them as the resistance levels on the cheap ones dont really...well...resist. A fluid trainer will give you the best results if you are using it for fitness. As you spin faster, the more resistance it builds and you'll find it is a better way to train.

A mag trainer will be ok but after a while it won't provide you with the resistance you need as good as a fluid trainer. Don't get me wrong it will be fine for basic use.

As for getting on or off, they are pretty sturdy, but you some caution getting on or off the bike. When you on it, you do feel fairly solid.

These are compatible and adjustable for all adult bikes.

I have a CycleOps fluid trainer https://www.cycleops.com/catalog/trainers-rollers#

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont