View Single Post
Old 28-05-2015, 01:00 PM   #43
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Ex-FPV engineers create 700Nm XR6T

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilo View Post
Cheers mate, don't doubt it for a minute.

Just flogging the auto that hard (and as others have mentioned the over temps and limp mode) can't be too good for the transmission to be lasting too long.

I've built a twin turbo 720nM/310kw beast and had to fit custom steel separator rings, custom wave spring and double the number of friction clutches in kevlar to stop it frying out as well as a modified valve solenoid assembly to increase oil flow and extra oil coolers.

One launch was enough to fry the fourth gear in seconds in stock.

You guys must be extremely lucky to have a stock auto hold up so well.

Or has it?
I'm at 96,000 k's so far and that stall was 16 k back. No problems so far, but I wouldn't expect an occasional launch like that to hurt the transmission. Particularly given that the car had been standing for more than an hour (other than brief start ups to move forward in the line).
I should have mentioned it was a brief stall and way too short to overheat the transmission.
Notice that the acceleration rate increased between 20 and 40 km/h. Perhaps I mightn't have stalled for long enough to get full boost, or the electronic nannies would only allow a certain amount of torque at the launch.
Whatever the case though, I'd expect the nannies to stop any damage in a standard untuned car, unless of course there was already a problem in the transmission.

A bit off topic I know, but if you're interested in times at the track, a VBOX sport can now be purchased for about $500 I believe. You can get so much more useful, very accurate data out of these devices than a time slip gives.
1/4 mile and all times from the 60 foot point on can vary from about about 2 to 4 tenths, depending on how you stage the car and you can see in fine detail where you're losing or gaining time.

Last edited by 2242100; 28-05-2015 at 01:14 PM.
2242100 is offline   Reply With Quote