View Single Post
Old 19-03-2014, 06:13 PM   #11
Nitrobuggies
Starter Motor

Default Re: ST guys what oil are you using

Speaking to several mechanics the story changes between what to do. Some will suggest to drop the oil and replace it with some fresh mineral/blend oil at the 3-5k range, others have suggested leaving it till 10-15. Even had one suggest going straight to full synthetic at the 3-5k range.

They vary in terms of their expertise on engines. Ranging from race engine experience to general mechanic.

At the end of the day, engines these days are built to incredible tolerances and accuracy. Especially higher performing engines, which are built to high standards. I honestly couldn't see any harm in using fresh oil whilst its being run in. Especially if the oil is of high quality and a full mineral or semi synthetic oil. I plan on changing the oil at 5k, to a semi synthetic oil from Hi-Tech oils.. My dad has done the same in all his cars (from a 97 WRX 01 STI and Evo X) and the engines have always been very good, producing plenty of power (more then stock) and better fuel economy then standard.

I suppose if we all keep our cars long enough we will find out the answer one day lol

BTW when it comes to using full synthetic oil i will be running Hi-Tech 5-30w. Im toying with the idea of using Royal Purple once its modified, seems to be a top oil. But seen my Dad and Uncle both put great power out of their cars (Evo X and R32 GTR) on Hi-Tech...
Nitrobuggies is offline   Reply With Quote