View Single Post
Old 01-09-2013, 10:51 AM   #7
J.C.
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Remove auto trans and swap torque convertor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaz View Post
Yep remove driveshaft diff end first. Mark the Uni with paint marker to be sure it goes back in same way for balance purpose.

You might lose some oil out of the output shaft seal, especially when you tilt it back. I'd crack the rear pan bolts and drain some oil first.

Then put a jack under the pan with some wood bracing to distribute the load.

Inspection plate is at the front of the bellhousing, you can only see a little part of it from the front of the transmission looking back at the bellhousing at the bottom. It's a sheet metal plate you take out.

Have fun getting the top bellhousing bolts is all I have to say! I used about 1.5m of extensions and a uni and got to it from behind the gearbox over the top.
Yes. As painful as they are, still possible as you stated.

How I achieved this is the removal of the trans support (ensure trolley jack in supporting trans of course). Lower trans down (it shall pivot on the engine mounts) unit you can get your extensions (which shall not be that far, probably an inch), swivel socket and ratchet in there to undo them, then jack up again into original position and block up engine sump/flywheel housing.

Another word of advice is to do the above before you undo any of the other transmission to flywheel retaining bolts. Doing it this way will ensure it remains flush and secure, hence those two bolts shall be much easier to remove.

The above is just what has worked for me as on the 5L you can barely see the top bolts. I'm assuming the same can be said for the inline six.

Good luck with it. When you have done it once, the second and third time is so much more easier.
J.C. is offline   Reply With Quote