View Single Post
Old 29-03-2013, 06:56 PM   #5
JeremyK

Default Re: Quick Question: Laser/Telstar gearboxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Tool View Post
Considering that used gearboxes to suit an FE motor in an AT wont be very expensive I wouldn't worry about trying to use your Laser gearbox. There are guys on the TX5 forum who have been giving them away before.

You could use the back half of the gearbox and use an F series bell with it but that'd mean pulling the box apart and re doing the bearing preloads.
Still not worth it in the context of above.

The front gearbox mount is attached to the bell section so if you used a B series bell you would still need to make your own mount.
Okay so that eliminates using the lasers gearbox, I thought it was worth a shot at least :P

This week at the wreckers is half price gearboxes which is sort coincedental, and thats why I plan on getting to the bottom of this issue. The other problem is I have to get all the gearbox linkages and pedal box and so on for the telstar, is there anything I can use from the laser here that will save cash/time?

Is it better to keep the basic block and head from my car and fit injection to it, and that way I can fit the ECAT gearbox to it? I know these 2.0L engines had injection in NZ so it must be possible, I think if I get it from a late model econovan or a courier or b2000 or e2000, they all had injected engines thanks to tightened emmisions regulations, but they have the same basic block and I think in some cases even the head is the same as my car, so it must be possible to do that? Many will say its better just to replace the whole motor but, I dunno haha, this one hasn't done many ks so yeah.

Or do I go all out and replace the whole motor and gearbox as a whole. Ive considered putting the Lasers 1.6 in this car but it probably wont fit nor be powerful enough plus its done 276000ks.

If I do go to the effort of replacing the motor, which is the best bet to get it working, and will give me the best blend of power and economy and reliability. Im actually really tempted by the diesel engine as this is my roadtrip car so diesel is good for economy, its good for torque, so towing, and good for reliability, problem is rareness of them! But I have other options, the 2.2L is the easiest to get and most popular, and the 2.2L Turbo is my dream because of the power, but the problem with both of those motors could be getting them working in my car? And in the case of the turbo, rareness!
JeremyK is offline   Reply With Quote