View Single Post
Old 04-03-2012, 07:36 PM   #57
JimStone

Default Re: Possibly joining the Mondeo ranks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k
Nice indeed.
I have been looking around at this size range ... and the Mondeo seems to tick all of the boxes .... and the new EcoBoost looks pretty good now too.

I'd love to get a Titanium ... but really the Zetec is probably going to be the upper end of my price range as well. It has most of the Titanium features anyway (although I'd love to get the Bi-xenons though)
Hard to beat the Mondeo Zetec in this size range. At 6'4" and 125kg I have difficulty getting in and out of the current model FG Falcon and I really, really hate the feel and dynamics of the VE Commodore - aaaand to be honest with myself I really don't do long distance driving anymore these days and the most I tow is a 6x4 box trailer so I really don't really need a "big" engine RWD car.

I had to broaden the search, and as I am still the right side of 60 that ruled out the current crop of Toyotas, Hondas and Nissans. I drove the rather uninspiring VW, Peugeot, Subaru, Mazda, Suzuki and Hyundai mid size range, but could not quite force myself to drive the Kias or Skodas. No joy there, and as I am not particularly a fan of Diesels that only left Focus 2.0 GDi Sport Powershift or Mondeo Zetec 2.03ps Ecoboost Powershift GTDi.

The Focus drove extreamely well, but was a little 'jiggly' on the road and was just a touch cosy for my frame.

The Mondeo Zetec had comprable room to the Falcon, the Ecoboost/Powershift combo blended well with the chassis dynamics, though the dash seemed a little spartan until you look a little deeper - it's all there at your fingertips. I had found a winner.

I did the deal at $33k on the road for a new 2011 plated Mondeo Zetec Ecoboost Hatchback in Dark Mica Stone, took delivery 10am Wednesday 25th January 2012. Yay, a new Belgian steed just in time for Australia Day....
JimStone is offline   Reply With Quote