View Single Post
Old 08-01-2012, 04:12 PM   #168
Buntz
Straight Eight

Default Re: Whats stopping people from buying the Falcon?

Wow. So many comments I want to reply to. So many points I want to cover...

So I will just dot-point them, and hopefully wont's miss anything. Why people aren't buying them or reason they aren't selling as well:

* State of economy. We aren't feeling it as much as the rest of the world, in fact we're living pretty compared to folk in other lands. But that doesn't mean people aren't thinking more of the necessities rather than the luxuries. Falcon is a bit of a luxury item than a means of transportation. Boggles the mind why people buy the inferior commodore though, whatup with that? Big price cuts?

* Higher cost of living. Everything is so jolly expensive, people want to save where they can. So cost of ownership is a biggie. Falcon aint too bad with it's widely available cheap aussie made parts. And fuel efficiency isn't all bad either. But small cars are cheaper to maintain. EcoLPi probably will be offset slightly by servicing costs from the higher compression and LPG specific components.

* Highly competitive used car market. Want a big Aussie six? The used car market has what you're after at a fraction of the price. And it's so damned competitive. People that need/prefer a big sedan can pick up great pre-loved vehicles. And these purchases can be rationalised easily.

* Cost. The ol' humble aussie six ain't what it used to be. They're better than ever. And they have a price to match. I specked a Falcon XR6II EcoLPi with Luxo pack to my postcode. $52.8k minimum (not including government rebate). Mondeo Zetec Hatch with 4.5k worth of interior options (as per Luxo Pack) and 2.0 ecoboost (And not all that much more equipment or options than Falcon really) $43.4k. And finally. Focus sport sedan with diesel option and 4.5k worth of interior plus's. $41.4k. That's enough of a gap to get people looking closer.

* Unfavourable Perception. Some people have it in their minds, and rightly so from ages gone. That Falcon's and Commodores are bogan mobiles, and despite how far they've come. Won't buy them because of that image. Or that Australian made cars are somehow inferior to imported vehicles. Nonsense. FG is a well put together vehicle. However due to the size, and the market the vehicle has to be afforded by... some things like higher quality interior materials, and components are sacrificed. Not that bad, but in comparison... not that good. Of course I'd trade interior plastics quality for virtual pivot link double wishbone suspension any day. Non car people have a different perspective however.

* Poor Advertising. It's like Ford want it to perform badly to justify getting rid of it. Ford sold tens of thousands of Falcon B series sedans. Not too long ago. Even this orphan of the empire flourished. Then Mullaly took over and has seen it as a problem that needs addressing. Keep it or don't keep it? Let's see how it does. Umm.... still needs to be advertised big fella... otherwise you're tainting the observations.

* No model variations. Just Sedan. No Wagon or Hatch. No RTV. No Panel Wagon. These were the bulk of workhorses.

* Sedan's no longer doing it for customers. Everyone seems to want an SUV these days. Not that a Sedan can't do what it's asked to. But that people just want an SUV. Easier to get in and out of, and to load stuff into, for taller persons.

Now reason why people should:

* Great Value. This can be different segments in itself. Luxury and Performance. It's a lot of money... but it's a lot of car too. And what a car. Big Aussie sedans are utilitarian vehicles... and in that way earn their keep. Lot's of space, lots of comfort. Dependable cruiser. Much cheaper than counterparts in the same segment, with quality up there to match.

* Support for Australian Manufacturing. Shouldn't be throwing in the patriotism card. But buying Aussie made products is important. Otherwise the Dutch Disease will spread and we will be a whore of country letting others take our resources and make them into goods to sell to us, that we can make and sell to them and ourselves.

* Support for Australian Research. Everyone should know about the great work that came of the EcoLPi. With the brainy stuff mostly done out of Balcatta, Perth. Orbital, a company that does automotive development for countries around the globe. Particularly in engines.

* Uniqueness of owning an Australian Vehicle. Especially if it's an Aussie ford. Only us here in OZ and NZ have the availability to own this unique vehicle. And that superb straight six. An engine type often associated with cars built for car lovers.

* Motoring Enthusiasm. Drivers car through and through. Drivetrain is probably the best part of the Falcon.

Now as regards that story by Neil Dowling. It's interesting that Mullaly flat out says. We're going to have E segment vehicles no matter how small the market... and they're gonna be world class. And we're gonna have Mustang a niche vehicle. It all points to me like Falcon is staying. It's just done the R&D for Ford's first 2.0L EcoBoost RWD application (Mustang next I bet). Falcon is Fords most sophisticated current RWD car in the World. Mustang having the same back end as my ED Falcon, (Coil sprung Live Axle)and MacPherson struts. Less advanced than my ED Falcon. So if Mustang is to become this world class product that will appeal to Europeans. Then it's going to need something much more suited to the job, and this century. (A rumour went around not too long ago that Mustang was going around Nurburgring with Virtual Pivot Link Double Control Arms, and Control Blade IRS. Just a rumour though.) DEW98 has been tried and retired by Ford. Too expensive. (Current platform the latest Jags sit on.) Falcon however has had to be cheaper from the get go. "The best it can be for the lest it can be". Ford of Australia's motto. Add to this Ford's commitment to a revamp of Lincoln to compete against the best luxury brands... and you can almost be assured of a state-of-the-art RWD V8 saloon with all the leather and gadgetry that can be stuffed inside. Falcon begins to look like a promising research project for future premium vehicles. Perhaps even our stables will only be premium vehicles from that point onward... and Falcon can have it's let downs turned upside down. And last but not least platform/component sharing. Mustang and Falcon are both orphans it would seem. Time to for them to make a family.

Finally after my massive rant. Why haven't I bought a Falcon? Why haven't I put my money where my mouth is? Answer: I have no monies. I'm 22 and working part time. I'd love to own a new Falcon. I'd put 50 grand down now on a new XR6 LPi if I had it. But don't. And I don't want to reach that day when I can buy a new car... and the Falcon is no more.