View Single Post
Old 08-01-2012, 04:02 PM   #167
martyk54

Default Re: Whats stopping people from buying the Falcon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelsGolf
Its funny how times have changed, when we grew up we were taught to drive to avoid accidents, there were no such things as airbags or crumple zones.
Now we seem more preoccupied with owning vehicles that will survive crashes, have we become conditioned now to accept that crashes are going to happen? or have we forgotten what the primary instict should be?

Like all Mothers i worry, but i also want my kids to be able to avoid accidents, i want them in safe cars but i dont want them to have a crash in the first place...
I think it's a fallacy that SUVs / 4WDs are safer than a similar size/weight sedan if an accident occurs, predominantly because of the ease they flip due to their higher centre of gravity. The SUVs with 7 seats (2 extra almost up against rear window) can also be extremely dangerous. If a larger vehicle runs up the back of one, those in the rear seats are in strife. You've basically got a slim panel and sheet of glass only as protection. I've seen this tested on TV and it was VERY eye opening. I certainly wouldn't place children of mine in those seats.

Coupled with this, they are a nuisance on the road because of their size, mainly height. Driving behind one blocks frontal vision, which can be dangerous as you can only see brake lights of that direct car in-front, not further up the line of traffic. I guess you could say their weight can cause more impact in an accident also... especially those people who put bull bars on.

I think you're right though that people do like the idea of being in an SUV as a sense of safety, stability or power. Not sure if that's actually true in reality though.