Thread: New to cycling
View Single Post
Old 03-10-2011, 06:11 PM   #200
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

Default Re: New to cycling

So.

I completed my very first bike leg in a Half Iron Man triathlon on the weekend. 90km. in 30+ degree FNQ heat in the middle of the day.

The first leg was a 19km ride from Port Douglas to the start of the Syndicate road loop, all flat roads, slight headwind in some parts:

No worries at all, kept a decent pace up, kept up with the fluids and knocked it over in good time (not sure exactly as the cycle computer decided not to work). Wasn’t sore at all during this, llegs were fine…only complaint the seat was a bit low and I wasn’t getting full leg extension. No worries, I’ll do the next leg and stop at the aid station.

Second leg, 16km loop. Nasty road surfaces, train tracks, headwinds in sections and a nasty climb, sheltered from wind:

Road surface made keeping a decent speed difficult, more often than not I was weaving across the road avoiding bumps. The road is a little bit up and down…couple of steady climbs. Come around a corner and a monster of a climb awaits me. I still feel fine at this stage…I’m guessing it is about the 35km mark. Start the climb, no breeze, can feel my temp shoot up so I slowly spin up the hill. Get to the top and see the descent, best thing so far. I opened my can of downhill mtb crazies and clicked it into the highest gear, got off the seat and pedalled down the hill…Not sure what speed I hit, but I was flying. Flat roads to the aid station, grab some new water bottles and start the second loop….

Third leg, same 16km loop.

Legs are starting to burn and I’m getting very hot (thank god for sunscreen). I can feel that I’ve slowed down…Take it a bit easier for a while and crack open some starburst lollies, have a few and spin for a while…then back down onto the aero bars and into it. The climb take 2. I honestly thought I wouldn’t go the distance at this point, I was overheating, no water left and my legs were on fire. I barely get to the top, had to stop for a 5 min breather. Back down the hill at a rate of knots and I feel renewed. Back to the aid station, drinks and off for the 3rd loop.

Fourth leg, 16km loop, last lap.

Wow. Why did I go for the 3rd lap when I know I still have a 19km ride back to Port Douglas afterwards. I stop for another breather before tackling the loop. Slowed down a fair bit, even the elites are struggling from what I’ve seen at this stage. Once again, the climb is in front of me and it’s bigger than ever. I smash a fistful of starburst, jump off the seat, engage ape-mode and smack it up the hill. I nearly die at the top, light headedness kicks in and I’m sure I came close to passing out. I stop for a while. Back down the hill, and to the aid station for the last time. At this point I am struggling physically and I have pushed past my capabilities.

Fifth leg, 19km to Port, the hell march.

Constant headwind. Never has 19km seemed so far, it was like the previous 70ish km were only 5km and I was doing the final 85km. My legs were beyond gone, my quads were cramping, my back was sore…world of pain. Everyone speaks of the wall you hit when it seems you can’t go anymore…it’s real. I push through it with fistfuls of lollies. I can literally feel my legs failing, I stood up at one stage on the pedals and I couldn’t hold. Did I mention the headwind? Slow going. I get to the turn off into port douglas. 5km to go. The longest 5km of my life, I am spent in a big way, everything is hurting…I engage ape-mode again and pedal mash to the finish. I finished in a bit over 3.5 hours. I see my mate there holding a beer, I walk up and neck it like I’ve ever drunk before.

I had a great sense of achievement and pride.

I did it with probably a combined less than 2 weeks training, a bike that wasn’t mine and a steak burger for breakfast that day.

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote