Thread: New to cycling
View Single Post
Old 03-10-2011, 01:30 PM   #193
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 
Default Re: New to cycling

While we are talking about bike weights I think it is important to point out for those that are new to the game that weight is not everything.

Look at my two most recent bikes. The first was my old Monoc TC2 Compact built with durace and campag wheels. This bike was a relative feather weight at 6.8kgs with pedals and cages. My new bike is a Eddy Merckx 1XM that is actually built with all the components off the Monoc, so only the frame, fork and seat post are new. The Merckx is 400gms heavier at 7.2kgs.

Even though the Merckx is heavier, the frame (full carbon) has more lateral stiffness but more vertical compliance than the old Monoc (7000 series aluminium with carbon fork and seat stays). This makes the Merckx a much nicer and more comfortable bike to ride which despite the weight penalty still climbs and rides just as fast, if not faster than the old Monoc frame.