View Single Post
Old 27-08-2011, 01:04 AM   #14
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: AU Waterpump Replacement Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowan194
The heater pipe coming out of the water pump is leaking on my car, so I'm going to replace the whole pump as a preventative measure (190,000km, could be original?)

Couple of questions...

1. This is how it was supplied, with the cardboard gasket against the pump, then a metal plate against the gasket. Is the gasket in the plastic bag also supposed to be fitted (pump-gasket-plate-gasket-engine), or is it a spare?

2. Is it normal for the pump to feel stiff? The pulley moves, but if I give it a shove it doesn't freewheel.
my pump started to leak just after 100000 k`s i doubt your would be original.

yes and yes, indeed you need to fit the extra gasket between the plate and the block , i don`t know if i did`nt read the post right(quite possibly for me) but i did`nt see gasget cement mentioned for the gasket, not meaning to be a smarty or belittle this excellent how to by Grandpa_Spec_AU , but i was always taught to use gasket cement on the water pump gasket/s, permatex no2(if i remember correctly) or some other recommended gasket cement for the water pump, i used ultra copper on mine, someone please correct me if i`m wrong. and yes it is normal for the new pump to be a bit stiff.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote