View Single Post
Old 13-08-2011, 12:46 AM   #243
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Default Re: which car/model changed the face of performance for aussie cars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falc'man
/Galaxy XR8, you really expect anyone to find links dating back to VT2 days? I don't think you'll find these anywhere.

Why did Ford act with the 220kW 5.0 Windsor, and the 5.6 in the T3s? Beyond that, what instigated the Boss 260s, 290s, and Turbos?
The answer is quite simple; Ford were always behind when it came to performance. They were playing catch up to Holden for a long time. Holden were the aggressor.

When the Ford V8 returned with the EB it was 165kW (and barring the 200kW EB/EL GTs and Sprint, and later the 5.0 T-series) the mainstream performance models remained hovering around the 185kW mark up to AU, in '99. That's 20kW increase in 6/7 years. The turning point and catalyst that brought on the big power from Ford was Holden's decision to use the 220kW Gen3, even in the executive. So in the space of a few years Ford go from 185kW to 260kW.

The big question is, if it weren't for Holden using the Gen 3, would Ford have put any serious work into their performance vehicles, OR, would they have just increased the power by another 20kW over another 6 to 7 years?

I think that is the whole point.

Even the VT1 GTS owners who paid through the nose for 215kW weren't happy that you could then get more power for a third of the price they paid the day before. People wanting by Tickfords during that time couldn't get more than 220kW, and how much were they paying? The HSVs with the LS1 (and C4B) were untouchable (up until the 5.6).

It's not hard to forget the low to mid 14s for a standard 220kW Gen 3 Executive, don't have links, and I don't think anyone will find a link going back that far. However anyone who followed these events at the time would know this to be fact. The point being made is in the modern era that was the turning point, there's no denying that.

It (the Gen3) received rave reviews and won most if not all comparos, and the journos knew how to rub it in. Their popularity was quite high and I personally remember the heartache that we Ford lovers went through. Yes, it's not about straight line speed. No, it is about straight line speed. Hold on a minute, I think it isn't. I see, It depends on whether it suits our argument at the time.

When it comes to p'ing contests and historical moments, it's always been about power. Even Tickford agreed by screwing 220kW out of the 5.0 and giving us the 5.6.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote