View Single Post
Old 05-07-2011, 01:58 PM   #190
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Default Re: Coyote XR8 still a year away

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Plaizier
The current PCM (is it still Spanish Oak?) didn't have enough I/O ports to run the dual exhaust cam phasers. It could run the I6 with an inlet and exhaust phaser, but it didn't have enough to run the 4 phasers on the quad-cam V8. The Spanish Oak came in with the BF replaced the Black Oak from the BA, which itself didn't have enough io ports to allow for the dual O2 sensors, or enough space for programming the extra smarts for DSC and the ZF. Remember that you have to have the output line to configure the cam phaser position, and an input line for the sensor to know the current phaser position for closed-loop operation, so two extra cams requires 4 extra io lines.

The Miami is running static exhaust cams I believe. Expect a power hike when the new PCM comes in and they map the exhaust phaser into the mapping.

And while I'm here, gosh I hope the new PCM also has dual maps - although I don't hear anything of that nature on the Tezza. Press a button to get the 'economy' mapping, and another button for the 'power' mapping. All it would take is one more digital io, a bunch of extra flash ram, and some software. Just like Hill Descent Control on the Tezza was 'just' a different software code in the ABS module. Nothing else.

Lukeyson
Unless you can tell me otherwise, there is still no proof that the new PCM can run 4 cam phasers. People are just assuming it can.

Do you know?
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote