View Single Post
Old 05-07-2011, 12:57 PM   #188
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Default Re: Coyote XR8 still a year away

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
Who put a price tag on the NA XR8? Anywhere from $45-50 (50 with options) is about right. Above the $50k also presents a mental barrier aswell. We have been down the path of why the B series suffered as you know in the "whats wrong with the XR8 thread" and "XR8 Discussion".
Reading some of these threads it's not hard to see some people aren't realistic in their expectations or just don't remember that an AU XR all those years ago was over $50k.

Quote:
Agreed Ford should stick the boot in but also keep in mind that the SS/XR8 guys are not about all out power, its just about having a V8 in the first place. That doesnt mean they should install an asthmatic Windsor in there, but the SS is "only" 260 IIRC so the target isnt very high. Given the 5.0 does more with less is a selling point on its own. There are plenty examples of member here who owned B series V8s and returned to A series, bung on an exhaust and they are happy as larry.
It's funny you say that it isn't about power. Because it was. The FG XR8 was, and still is a superior car to the SS. It didn't sell, not even for $46k.

Quote:
We bag many of Holdens tactics, I know I do, but at the end of the day crating an engine in for a mass produced car makes perfect sense, then you spend the other funds on the little bling things that people tend to like these days (and what the falcons have been bagged for not having, especially when you see what a cheaper mondeo comes with). Same can be said with HSV, and at the moment they have the runs on the board regardless of quality.
That's the nature of the situation so FPV have to spend their dollars to make a great motor. What I'm saying, and you understand this, why would Ford spend more dollars to engineer the n.a., when there's the risk that it won't take off (sales wise). Don't get me wrong because you also know that I know the n.a. 5 litre would absolutely cream the 6 litre, and that personally I would love to see it fitted. It just doesn't make any business sense especially with sales where they are at the moment. Added to that the amount of R&D they've poured into Territory's V6, the EB2.0, and the EcoLPi. There's also the budget for FG2, so there's a lot of dollars been thrown around at the moment. What I'd like to add - if it comes back, n.a. or not, I'm happy.

Quote:
AFM is also another example, yes its marketing bollocks but if thats what it takes to sell cars then fine. Its a well known fact that at the end of the day its the wife/partner that also has a big call, if someone can go "hey hun, we can get a V8 that uses less fuel with this AFM thing" and it gets the sale across the line then job done. I dont agree with it and dont want Ford to follow that path but its all these little things that make the difference.
I agree there. But that isn't why I brought AFM up. The point I am making is Holden can afford to not charge such a premium on their V8 like Ford has to.

Quote:
I dont think anyone here seriously thinks the XR8 should be sub $40k (a mondeo XR5 is/was around $40k isnt it?)...a premium over the XR6T is normal. The B series XR8 examples used while recent are IMO not completely fair, the main reason it struggled was because of the engine, the single thing we are talking about getting fixed. Who would buy a V8 sedan when the V8 itself is not desirable or what the customer wants? Ford themselves knew it was not up to par, even if the kw's where higher. This is the primary reason why I dont think SC the XR8 makes sense, because its RRP will be guess what, exactly what the GS is and it wont sell.
The main reason the B-series struggled wasn't the engine but the price. At the time Ford pushed the turbo, not the V8. If you think that V8 wasn't desirable then you've read too many Wheels and Motor articles. My sub $40k remark was a little tongue in cheek but if in the event a $45k n.a. XR8 does come to market and still doesn't sell watch all the keyboard jockeys go berserk about the price.

Quote:
People who are after power will buy the GS. Most XR8 im tipping are just after a V8 that sounds good, has good power, rev's and has a decent torque curve (down low aswell) and doesnt cost the earth to maintain or insure.
Like the previous XR8s?

Quote:
There are many now who buy a GS because they are savvy enough to know its the same engine as the GT. What will happen to the GS/GT sales when the XR8 comes out with the same engine with a tune? It will dilute the FPV aura.
Good point I guess, but as FPV GTHO pointed out there would be a few points of difference between it and the GS' such as the breathing hardware.

Quote:
Its not going to be an easy decision, the easy way out is putting the GS engine in, but whether its the right one is debatable. At the end of the day its about sales, I would be pretty confident that a XR8/G8E would out sell V8 FPVs. FPV needs Ford to move Falcons, such a vicious cycle.
The "right" motor isn't debatable, it's definitely the n.a..