View Single Post
Old 11-02-2008, 03:19 AM   #6
AGRO
KB TECH SUPPORT

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT Doug
Hi, I am starting to get interested in supercharging my GT. I am curious to hear you opinions on the efficiency of the 2.6 KB vs the M122H. I have been told that in some instances the KB can be too powerfull, and when tuned down, can generate too much heat.
I understand there are 2 types of KB a S model for under 15 pounds and an H model for 15 plus. Which model do you use? Would the S model be better suited to applications under say 400rwKWs?

Thanks Doug
Hello Doug.
Firstly, a Kenne Bell when 'tuned down' does not create too much heat!
Discharge temps will ALWAYS be much lower then that of a Roots compressor, when used in the same configuration.
For a roots blower like the M122, they have to spin at a faster rpm than that of an equivalent size twin screw, to produce the same boost. The faster a supercharger spins, the more heat it will produce.
Efficiency is ALWAYS better (because of the design) with a twin screw than that of a Roots. Don't get me wrong here, there is still nothing wrong with a roots blower. They work! There are just much better options out there in the way of twin screw compressors.
Comparing the KB 2.6 to the Eaton M122? Well, there is no comparison. The 2.6 will win hands down in any area, be it with discharge temps, efficiency, higher boost aplications, less hp from engine to operate, etc, etc. But, you have to remember, the KB 2.6 is a larger displacement supercharger than that of the M122, so naturally it should be superior.
On our kits, the KB 2.6 is only working around 65% of it's ability, and that's at 6000 engine rpm. At 4000rpm, it's working around 50%. There is plenty of room to move in other words!
Yes, KB have the 'S' and the 'H' series superchargers. We use the 'S' series as our boost levels are below 10psi. The S & H series are almost identicle. They have the same internal rotors, and same size housing. The only difference is the exit port on the bottom of the supercharger. The 'H' series port is smaller, giving more time for the compression to take place. In high boost applications, this results in a cooler discharge temp, than that of the 'S' series at that same high boost level. The 'S' series is fine for 400rwkw, no problem.
Hope this helps with your queries.

Regards

AGRO.
-------------------------------------------
Hp & Money...It's Never Enough.
AGRO is offline   Reply With Quote